#1 chris descor

chris descor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

hello
several years ago, I was watching TV late one night and caught the ending of a film. it might have been on TCM, but not sure.
I dont remember what the name of the film was or who was in it or what it was about, but I'm quite sure it was made in the 1970s', maybe 1973.
Other than the last shot of the ending of the film, I know nothing else about the movie.

So, the last shot of the film or the last scene, I'm pretty sure, was set in a very cold, arctic environment, tundra-like but not flat plains, more like a hilly mountanious landscape, twilight nautical blue sky, almost night, maybe a blizzard is happening. but it wasnt just completey all white-out snow. I think all you could hear was the sound of wind/blizzard. maybe atmospheric music, but maybe not.
Amongst in the landscape were 2 or 3 people/men. sort of stumbling in the snow/landscape. maybe 2 men were carrying 1 man who could no longer walk. or just 2 or 3 men stumbling/walking in this harsh earth.

the title of the film might have contained something to do with the setting, so it might have contained a word like 'ice' or 'snow' etc etc

Sorry, but thats all I can remember, and I would love to see this film again if only I knew what it was. I know its not much to go on.
I've tried searching online for it, but havent come up with anything.
Hopefully someone knows what it is.

#2 Robert Costello

Robert Costello
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

hello
several years ago, I was watching TV late one night and caught the ending of a film. it might have been on TCM, but not sure.
I dont remember what the name of the film was or who was in it or what it was about, but I'm quite sure it was made in the 1970s', maybe 1973.
Other than the last shot of the ending of the film, I know nothing else about the movie.

So, the last shot of the film or the last scene, I'm pretty sure, was set in a very cold, arctic environment, tundra-like but not flat plains, more like a hilly mountanious landscape, twilight nautical blue sky, almost night, maybe a blizzard is happening. but it wasnt just completey all white-out snow. I think all you could hear was the sound of wind/blizzard. maybe atmospheric music, but maybe not.
Amongst in the landscape were 2 or 3 people/men. sort of stumbling in the snow/landscape. maybe 2 men were carrying 1 man who could no longer walk. or just 2 or 3 men stumbling/walking in this harsh earth.

the title of the film might have contained something to do with the setting, so it might have contained a word like 'ice' or 'snow' etc etc

Sorry, but thats all I can remember, and I would love to see this film again if only I knew what it was. I know its not much to go on.
I've tried searching online for it, but havent come up with anything.
Hopefully someone knows what it is.

The movie you are thinking of is "The Last Detail"

Posted Image

(1973)

#3 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 16 February 2010 - 04:04 AM

No, it sounds more like Altman's Quintet.

It would have been one man, Paul Newman, walking into a blizzard, going "North." Last shot-- he alone at the end, advancing away.

A very good movie, BTW-- seriously underrated and maligned.

#4 Michael Summers

Michael Summers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 February 2010 - 11:59 PM

No, it sounds more like Altman's Quintet.

It would have been one man, Paul Newman, walking into a blizzard, going "North." Last shot-- he alone at the end, advancing away.

A very good movie, BTW-- seriously underrated and maligned.

I was going to say Altman too, first I thought of Mccabe and Mrs Miller but realized the poster didn't mention a shootout. I too think it could be Quintet.

#5 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:55 AM

With the limited description, wouldn't it be easier to contact TCM and ask what their schedule was that day?

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

CineLab

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

CineTape

Wooden Camera