#1 Kyle Shapiro

Kyle Shapiro
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:27 PM

I just saw this at the theater today and was blown away. The cinematography in this film was excellent and I loved the lighting and color choices. Many of the shots looked as if they could have been print advertisements, which was interesting and clever. They really fit the subject matter of the film. Has anyone else seen it and what did you think?

The film was shot by Eduard Grau and directed by Tom Ford.
S35. DI. Panavision Camera and Lenses

#2 James Brown

James Brown
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Sydney, Australia

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:04 AM

I just saw this at the theater today and was blown away. The cinematography in this film was excellent and I loved the lighting and color choices. Many of the shots looked as if they could have been print advertisements, which was interesting and clever. They really fit the subject matter of the film. Has anyone else seen it and what did you think?

The film was shot by Eduard Grau and directed by Tom Ford.
S35. DI. Panavision Camera and Lenses

Loved the Wide Aspect and the use of empty sapce. Very structured shots - good symmetry and great coverage to tell such a simple story. LOVED the in shot colour scheme change when something positive would come into his life.

Cinematography and tone of storytelling not to forget stella performances made great work of very basic script.

Regards James.

#3 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:23 PM

I havent seen this yet , i did read a interview with Tom Ford , in a BFI mag. He said they used 5279 stock , not made anymore , he wanted a nice grainy "filmic" look which he said no way he could get using current Kodak stocks or HD .

#4 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 14 February 2010 - 12:25 PM

I saw it last week and loved the cinematography. I liked how they captured the erra with a silvery desaturated look. It was very unique, almost like a old color photo print. I'm wondering if they did a bleach bypass. I was curious what format or stock they used based on the heavy grain... I actually found it grainier than "The Wrestler" that was shot on S16 7219. The scene where the main character admires a dog through the car window was one of the most poetic shots I have ever seen.

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

CineTape

Aerial Filmworks

Ritter Battery

CineLab