#1 anthony derose

anthony derose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

I just got footage back from the lab of a short project I shot on 16mm (7205, 7219). We transferred to DVCPRO 720 1.78 so I don't know if the transfer washed out some things. Basically the problems I found where in exteriors. The film was shot in New York City and we had quite a few days outside with bright sunlight. Scenes where the lead was walking down a backlit new york city street just looks to bright to me. I can retain detail and better shadows once I bring it down in FCP 3 way color, though I still am a little upset with the results.

Looking at camera reports I had underexposed 1 1/2 stops under and the background was 2 I believe, with certain parts of the street reflecting the sun 3 or more over (which I didn't mind). I guess next time I should underexpose a little more, like 2 1/2 stops? Worried that my shadows would be a bit to dark, though I'd rather have darker shadows then a hot background.

#2 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

I just got footage back from the lab of a short project I shot on 16mm (7205, 7219). We transferred to DVCPRO 720 1.78 so I don't know if the transfer washed out some things. ....
Looking at camera reports I had underexposed 1 1/2 stops under and the background was 2....
I guess next time I should underexpose a little more, like 2 1/2 stops?...

These are dailies, not fully corrected final images.

It's quite likely that the transfer operator saw an underexposed image and chose to brighten it up so that you could see clearly what you were editing. Film captures a wider tonal range than you normally see on the screen, so there is always scope for correction.

Don't underexpose more next time - the dailies will simply come back brightened up a little bit more still, and you'll end up chasing the dailies down to zero exposure :unsure:

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Tai Audio