1 reply to this topic

#1 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:20 AM

Besides keeping everything in focus, what requirements would you ask of a 1st AC. Also, if they mostly work in HD, where they pull from the Monitor as well as watching the actors, would you ever bring them to film if they haven't pulled focus on a film camera? And, how would their job be any different if they are pulling focus on HD (Say a RED or Phantom) as to film?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

Besides keeping everything in focus, what requirements would you ask of a 1st AC. Also, if they mostly work in HD, where they pull from the Monitor as well as watching the actors, would you ever bring them to film if they haven't pulled focus on a film camera? And, how would their job be any different if they are pulling focus on HD (Say a RED or Phantom) as to film?

From a DPs or operator's perspective, I think a good 1st is one who allows them to never, ever have to worry about the camera. They should be able to walk up to it and have everything already be right and ready to roll.

As for bringing someone to film who has only pulled HD, it would depend on how they work. If they pull focus for HD exactly like they do for film, then they'll do fine. If they only pull off a monitor (which, for reasons I won't get into, I think is a bad idea) and don't really know how to do it "blind" then I would be pretty skeptical of their ability to do it without the assurance of a monitor.

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS