Roy Rutngamlug

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hi all,

First time posting so, apologies if this post isn't in the right place.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience shooting motion picture film with an SLR and could relate the mechanics involved and the challenges with developing?

I heard there might be an issue with the backing causing photo labs to balk at processing?

I have a canon AE 1 and would like to shoot the kodak 5219 stock.

If anyone's wondering it's for an art class.

Thanks.

#2 Bruce Greene

Bruce Greene
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hi all,

First time posting so, apologies if this post isn't in the right place.

I was wondering if anyone here had experience shooting motion picture film with an SLR and could relate the mechanics involved and the challenges with developing?

I heard there might be an issue with the backing causing photo labs to balk at processing?

I have a canon AE 1 and would like to shoot the kodak 5219 stock.

If anyone's wondering it's for an art class.

Thanks.

Hi Roy,

I've done this in the past...but I'm not sure there are any labs left that will process movie film in short such short lengths. Don't send the film to a regular still photo lab as it will muck up their processor.

I did shoot a feature film in the Republic of Georgia a year ago, and the still photographer from Tbilisi used movie film to shoot production stills. I asked him where he could process the film in Georgia, and he said it was no problem: He processes it himself in his apartment! I think he said he uses a sponge or squeegee to remove the remjet backing.

So, for an art class, just get a changing bag, a developing tank, a few chemicals and thermometer and go at it! Don't forget the squeegee:)

#3 Roy Rutngamlug

Roy Rutngamlug

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:53 PM

Hi Roy,

I've done this in the past...but I'm not sure there are any labs left that will process movie film in short such short lengths. Don't send the film to a regular still photo lab as it will muck up their processor.

I did shoot a feature film in the Republic of Georgia a year ago, and the still photographer from Tbilisi used movie film to shoot production stills. I asked him where he could process the film in Georgia, and he said it was no problem: He processes it himself in his apartment! I think he said he uses a sponge or squeegee to remove the remjet backing.

So, for an art class, just get a changing bag, a developing tank, a few chemicals and thermometer and go at it! Don't forget the squeegee:)

Ah, luckily there's access to all the development gear. Thanks for the reply Bruce - much appreciated.

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Opal

CineTape

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets