Photo

Anyone know the coating used on the older anamorphic lenses?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hunter Hampton

Hunter Hampton
  • Sustaining Members
  • 170 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

Just trying to figure out the kind of coating used on the older anamorphic lens elements such as the Todd-Ao/Older Panavision/old lomos which gives them a strong blue flare. Someone once told me what the coating was but I cant seem to recall it. Thanks for any help!

#2 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Just trying to figure out the kind of coating used on the older anamorphic lens elements such as the Todd-Ao/Older Panavision/old lomos which gives them a strong blue flare. Someone once told me what the coating was but I cant seem to recall it. Thanks for any help!

About russian LOMO lenses.
All professional cinema lenses, spherical , anamoprhic have coating.
The russian old anamoprhic lenses, with square front glass, NAS, BAS have cooating too.
The procedure of re-coating ask special technical request from lenses.
The componnets must be do not glue, because, high temperature coating can destroy of glue.
The procedure re-loading ask of additional tools for polisnig of old surface and keep value of
surface curvature of glass component.
Thta's why, the procedure re-coating expencive and do not profitable for single lens.

#3 Hunter Hampton

Hunter Hampton
  • Sustaining Members
  • 170 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for your knowledge olex- Im not trying to recoat a single lens, but do a whole batch of non- anamorphic stand alone glass optics- Are you able to do this sorta thing Olex? Looking for that same coating on the old squarefront lomos circa the first Solaris.

#4 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for your knowledge olex- Im not trying to recoat a single lens, but do a whole batch of non- anamorphic stand alone glass optics- Are you able to do this sorta thing Olex? Looking for that same coating on the old squarefront lomos circa the first Solaris.

The last quote I got from a couple years back on lens re-coating was $195.00 per surface. Take an easy lens with only seven elements and it comes out to $2,730.00 to re-coat the whole thing. As you might guess, re-coating isn't done very often. I think it is worth it if you have a very good lens with something like only outer element wear. Your stand-alone scope-ments might be worth it. I can see some sense in that.

It also makes me wonder if they could be put in front of my Nikons with any success.

#5 Hunter Hampton

Hunter Hampton
  • Sustaining Members
  • 170 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

Thanks Paul- Yes, I would be crazy to recoat a whole lens assembally. Im just trying to get a lot of single lens elements coated with that particular coating (or similar). Maybe this is a job for Dan Sasaki?

#6 Hunter Hampton

Hunter Hampton
  • Sustaining Members
  • 170 posts
  • Director

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:48 PM

Think I figured it out- some sort of single layer of a magnesium floride mix.

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

CineTape

Opal

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc