Tom Sykes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Manchester, UK.

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:20 PM

Hi,

I'm fairly new to forums etc, so please forgive any inadequacies. I am in the 2nd Year of a University Degree studying Film Production Technology.

My ambition is to work my way into Film, my biggest hope is to become a DoP full time. Not to be big headed but i believe i have a talented eye for shots, I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how to get some experience on Film shoots and how to Network within the industry, and also any stories you have that show me your path's etc.

Ideally when i leave University i want to join the NFTS in London but first i'll need to get some experience to aid my application as they only take 8 students a year. I was thinking of looking into theatre lighting as well, so i can build up my knowledge of lighting more, any other ideas?

Books, websites, forums etc will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Tom.

Edited by Tom Sykes, 22 February 2010 - 06:20 PM.

#2 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

Hi,

I'm fairly new to forums etc, so please forgive any inadequacies. I am in the 2nd Year of a University Degree studying Film Production Technology.

My ambition is to work my way into Film, my biggest hope is to become a DoP full time. Not to be big headed but i believe i have a talented eye for shots, I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how to get some experience on Film shoots and how to Network within the industry, and also any stories you have that show me your path's etc.

Ideally when i leave University i want to join the NFTS in London but first i'll need to get some experience to aid my application as they only take 8 students a year. I was thinking of looking into theatre lighting as well, so i can build up my knowledge of lighting more, any other ideas?

Tom.

Hi, Tom!

I'm going to refer to my own site, not because I make ANY money from it. But because I think it can truly help and guide you. :)

Go to http://www.realfilmcareer.com. The homepage is current WORLDWIDE news for film and television production. There is also a user forum which has countless links that may help you even further. You'll also find a link on the homepage that leads to information about the book, "What I Really Want to Do: On Set in Hollywood." I urge you to read the first five chapters as well as the entire section about the Camera Department. Great pains were taken to present the most accurate and comprehensive information that aspiring "filmmakers" should have.

And take time to browse through the massive archives of this site. Don't be afraid to ask any questions when something doesn't make sense. People are generally more than happy to help. :)

#3 Tom Jensen

Tom Jensen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1234 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:42 PM

I think Phil's looking for an intern.

#4 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

Hi,

Tom.

Getting into the NTFS is fantastically difficult but yes, if you want to have a chance at working in the mainstream film industry over here, it is good if you can get in. It's probably the best way to network for that kind of thing. It's still not a sure thing even then but it improves your chances quite a lot. You probably want to be working on a portfolio to show them.

You can find out about shoots through Mandy or Shooting People to get some experience that way.

If you can get access to a U.S. or Canadian passport that will really open doors for you.

Theres not so much of a film industry in the UK however, so my suggestion would be to have a parallel career path in mind to help you on your way.

love

Freya

#5 Tom Sykes

Tom Sykes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Other
  • Manchester, UK.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:02 AM

I think Phil's looking for an intern.

Phil?

and where?

and in reply to everyone else.

Thanks, the book i am willing to buy, although it will have to be imported from America, oh well, and i believe the NFTS (obviously) can teach me a LOT more than rummaging the internet will, although i do find that highly addictive and helpful. Ideally the Master's will be nice.

On a positive note, i have recently been awarded a place as a camera assistant on a Film Shoot in Australia, the film eventually being entered into the Melbourne International Film Festival, the film is to be made in 72 Hours and will be shot approx 3 days before the Ceremony starts.

Any advice when i am shadowing the cameraman? What questions to ask, How i can help? And general stuff that will hopefully make my visit more worthwhile, as i will be a bit unhappy if it doesn't pay off, as it's a £700 flight. I get a credit at the end of it also.

& it's on RED!! :D

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Opal

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc