Photo

what size nd filter do i need for a beaulieu 5008s camera?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 phelim mccrory

phelim mccrory

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:22 PM

I am planning to shoot a movie using kodak 200t negative film stock. I understand that to shoot with negative during the day it is best to use a neutral density filter. What I would like to know is what size and type of Nd filter would I need for the schnieder zoom lense attacched to the camera?

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:00 PM

I am planning to shoot a movie using kodak 200t negative film stock. I understand that to shoot with negative during the day it is best to use a neutral density filter. What I would like to know is what size and type of Nd filter would I need for the schnieder zoom lense attacched to the camera?

with an 85 that you will be using to correct for daylight use, your EI is 125. Depending on how sunny or not it is, I would have ND.9, ND.6 and if you can an ND.3. You can cover any situation as well as taking the filter off entirely. If you want to minimize the amount of filters you use, you can get a ND/85 combo in varying degrees.

#3 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:00 AM

I'm not sure if you have the 6-66 or 6-70 Schneider zoom. Both of these have 62mm threads but they weren't designed to take filters directly. The problem is vignetting at wide focal lengths and apertures. On the 6-70 this is very obvious, less so on the 6-66, which may be ok.
Instead, they were meant to accept drop in series 8.5 filters in the lens hood. This weird size is very difficult to find.

One other possible solution might be to get a 62-67 adapter ring and use 67mm filters. The downside to this is you can't use the lens hood.

#4 Rafael Rivera

Rafael Rivera
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Director
  • San Jose, CA

Posted 24 February 2010 - 03:38 PM

A single 72mm filter fits inside the original lens hood.

I'm not sure if you have the 6-66 or 6-70 Schneider zoom. Both of these have 62mm threads but they weren't designed to take filters directly. The problem is vignetting at wide focal lengths and apertures. On the 6-70 this is very obvious, less so on the 6-66, which may be ok.
Instead, they were meant to accept drop in series 8.5 filters in the lens hood. This weird size is very difficult to find.

One other possible solution might be to get a 62-67 adapter ring and use 67mm filters. The downside to this is you can't use the lens hood.

#5 andy oliver

andy oliver
  • Sustaining Members
  • 258 posts
  • Other
  • uk

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

Hi, the camera was also supplied with the 6-80 angenieux lens, this too is 62mm.

#6 Robert Lewis

Robert Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Other
  • United Kingdom

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

A single 72mm filter fits inside the original lens hood.

I have a Beaulieu 5008s MS with a Schneider 6-70 lens. I find that the Beaulieu lens hood splits and between the two halves, one can fit a 77mm filter perfectly.

Edited by Robert Lewis, 25 February 2010 - 02:18 PM.

CineTape

CineLab

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Opal

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks