#1 anthony derose

anthony derose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:05 PM

I've been going over mired shifts in the set lighting handbook to better understand the formula. Going through the CTO and CTB conversions I noticed that Full CTO converts to 2800K and 3/4 CTO is closer to 3200k. I've mainly been in situations where I have had to use full CTB and haven't come across times where I need to gel windows to match practicals or convert HMI's. I just assumed that since full CTB converted 3200-5600 that full CTO did the opposite. Though I guess I was mistaken.

On Rosco's site 3/4 is listed as standard conversion from daylight to 3200. When I do come across those situations for a standard 5600-32000 conversion is 3/4 CTO the way to go?

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19765 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

On Rosco's site 3/4 is listed as standard conversion from daylight to 3200. When I do come across those situations for a standard 5600-32000 conversion is 3/4 CTO the way to go?

Yes, technically you are correct, Full CTO overcorrects a bit and 3/4 CTO is closer to the right MIRED shift.

Trouble is that daylight units are all over the map and many HMI's are over 6000K. This is one reason why many people avoid using HMI's gelled for 3200K lighting, the color is never quite right. But then, real daylight in general is all over the map in terms of color temp.

Abel Cine

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Aerial Filmworks