Photo

My Preston motor keeps "freezing", Preston remote focus having trouble with stiff lenses

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Erin Henning

Erin Henning

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:04 AM

this is a repost for a friend of mine. We still can't figure out what's going on. Please respond here, or check out the original at http://www.steadicam...showtopic=11477

thanks! Erin

I've had my Preston remote focus system for over a year. It's been getting a lot of use on the TV show that I am a focus puller on. I use Panavision Primo lenses. I use a "clip on" matte box for steadicam and hand held shots (because it's lighter); and a "studio" matte box when the camera is on a dolly or remote head. This is common practice for most AC's.
For the past couple of months the Preston motor began to "feeze" or "jam up" at randem times when I am using the "clip on" matte box. The clip on matte box adds more stiffness to the lens.
I've spoken to almost every engineer at Preston and we've finally decided that it is freezing because the MDR's firmware has a safety limit of power allowed to the motor which shuts it down if the motor needs to draw too much power to move a particularly stiff lens. This is to prevent the motor from burning out.
From my experience, I don't feel that these lenses are particularly stiff but maybe thats what it is.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Metropolis Post

The Slider