#1 Jeff Kolada

Jeff Kolada
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Student
  • Columbus/Athens, OH

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:27 PM

I am basically trying to figure out how different people come to getting an ambient base light for scenes. I understand that base light is different for different scenes, and hopefully I can get some insight into different styles of how to do this.

I have a scene coming up in a home office at night, the only light technically is coming from a desk lamp, and a bit from the "moon". My gut thought is to shoot a CTB'd light straight up into a large bounce board above the scene, creating a bluish moonlight ambience throughout the room, and then light around that. I also have a few china balls that are my other thought. place those suckers all over above the scene and dim them down. Luckily the ceilings are extremely high.

Or is it likely that I will get enough spill from my scene lighting that it will create a base light by itself? It's a fairly small room and the action is occurring within 10 feet of a wood-paneled wall.

So in the end, what is your general technique for achieving a base ambient light? And what are you usually metering at for background base light for a night interior?

Edited by Jeff Kolada, 04 March 2010 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Satsuki Murashige

Satsuki Murashige
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3510 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:47 PM

Well, base ambience is basically general fill. So how do create fill light? Bounce into the ceiling is one way, spacelights/china balls are another, I'm sure you can think of others.

#3 Andrew Poland

Andrew Poland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 06 March 2010 - 01:23 PM

I always arrive on set considering the genre and what type of base light is necessary. If the story/ genre calls for pockets of lights, I use my fixtures that will be giving me my key/ fill/ back/ separation and thats it for "base ambiance." Also when I arrive at location, I always consider the existing light, and discuss how that look can be recreated with cinema lights, this gives an ambient base, and most often times creates your separation.

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine