#1 pradeepkumar

pradeepkumar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:15 AM

Friends.
Guide me how do i practice cinematography. I dont have proper equipements. I thought film still cameras should be the best options to practice it. Is it so? where do iget those still cameras? Which slr camera should be the best one?

#2 Andrew Wilding

Andrew Wilding
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:43 AM

Friends.
Guide me how do i practice cinematography. I dont have proper equipements. I thought film still cameras should be the best options to practice it. Is it so? where do iget those still cameras? Which slr camera should be the best one?

Get any slr and a meter. Learn them both. When you've mastered exposure and composition, get some cheap lights. Master those.

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:19 AM

And as you master the technical things, look at the world around you and images which you find moving. Figure how light and angle and shadow and color make you "feel," and then try to recreate those feelings in your frames. Eventually, once you get composition and lighting down, perhaps try a video camera and experiment with camera motion.
The best practice is to practice, so just shoot shoot shoot!

For stills cameras, I prefer Nikons. The Nikon FM10 is a no thrills no frills, still made new, film SLR camera. See if you can't nab one and a few lenses (though the stock zoom wasn't too bad considering it's a stock zoom). I used to practice on slide film, because it's the hardest to expose properly, but see if you can find a place to process it first (it needs "e6" processing) before you go spend money on it. A lot of people will advise you to buy a digital SLR camera, but I honestly think that makes you lazy. You can shoot hundreds of pictures, sure, but I tend to feel you think less about it. And, with so many auto functions on the camera (in fact the lower end ones seem MADE for auto everything only!) you'll too often fall into the temptation of letting the camera fix the image, which is self defeating. Plus, when you're paying for each exposure, you really want to concentrate to get it "right."

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Visual Products