#1 Shiho

Shiho

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:22 PM

I'm after a tripod which is good for panning and tilting as smoothly as possible as well as having an adjustable head with a spirit level so that getting the legs perfect isn't important. My camera is the Canon EOS 550D, so it isn't necessary for the tripod to be able to support a great weight. I'm assuming it would be better to buy separate legs and head. My budget is approximately £200. Does anyone have any recommendations?

#2 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:18 AM

I'm after a tripod which is good for panning and tilting as smoothly as possible as well as having an adjustable head with a spirit level so that getting the legs perfect isn't important. My camera is the Canon EOS 550D, so it isn't necessary for the tripod to be able to support a great weight. I'm assuming it would be better to buy separate legs and head. My budget is approximately £200. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Perhaps something like the Manfrotto 745XB might fit the budget (and camera) at about £122, plus a lightweight Manfrotto 128RC 'fluid' head for another £55 or so?

By the time you've added carriage, that probably won't leave much change from £200.

I suppose it depends what you intend doing with the camera as to just how sturdy the tripod needs to be. More substantial tripods tend to attract more substantial prices!

Edited by Ian Cooper, 17 March 2010 - 08:20 AM.

#3 Shiho

Shiho

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:20 PM

Thanks. Both seem reasonably priced and sound like they'll do the job. Can I have confirmation that the spirit level on the Manfrotto 745XB is for the positioning of the head and not the legs though, as the spirit level can't be seen in any pictures I've been able to find of it.

#4 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:21 AM

Thanks. Both seem reasonably priced and sound like they'll do the job. Can I have confirmation that the spirit level on the Manfrotto 745XB is for the positioning of the head and not the legs though, as the spirit level can't be seen in any pictures I've been able to find of it.

I don't know off-hand, but if you bought the legs and found the bubble wasn't in the right place for you, then perhaps you could stretch your budget to a slightly higher spec head?

The Manfrotto 701HDV head comes with a bubble and is available for £79.99. That would put the combined price on budget (excluding carriage) and if you can afford it, the higher spec. head would probably be more useable anyway: The 702 allows a limited amount of movement to improve the camera balance, and a 1.5kg balance spring - neither of which are on the cheaper head.

#5 Shiho

Shiho

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

Ah thanks again. I've actually used both the tripod legs and the more expensive tripod head you're recommending before and had no problems with them, so I should be completely satisfied with both products.

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Glidecam

CineTape

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc