2 replies to this topic

#1 MJ Stubbs

MJ Stubbs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Director

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

I always liked the films(or videos) art teacher James Herbert did for the band 'R.E.M' back in the 1980's.

Does anyone know the formats used for the 'Pretty Persuasion/Harbourcoat' films?

Or the one for 'It's the end of the world as we know it(and I feel fine)' ?

They look like different formats.

Edited by MJ Stubbs, 17 March 2010 - 07:39 PM.

#2 Will Montgomery

Will Montgomery
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2030 posts
  • Producer
  • Dallas, TX

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:55 AM

Sometimes it looks like it could have been a series of 35mm still camera shots taken with an autowinder at regular intervals. Pausing on certain shots while the camera caught up.

To simulate it you could try shooting tri-x with an intervalometer moving very slowly but it doesn't look quite like an intervalometer unless you regularly change the intervals. More like a manual single frame shot as you move. Clicking the frame advance on the camera quickly. Also shooting at dusk with some very strong handheld lights.

K-100 would do that great as would most inexpensive 16mm camera. I wouldn't go with super 8 for that, it would be so un-sharp that it would be far too annoying for any length of time. Fine for a shot or two but not much more.

While the look is cool for a little bit, I found extremely annoying for the whole piece.

#3 MJ Stubbs

MJ Stubbs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 March 2010 - 08:08 PM

Sometimes it looks like it could have been a series of 35mm still camera shots taken with an autowinder at regular intervals. Pausing on certain shots while the camera caught up.

To simulate it you could try shooting tri-x with an intervalometer moving very slowly but it doesn't look quite like an intervalometer unless you regularly change the intervals. More like a manual single frame shot as you move. Clicking the frame advance on the camera quickly. Also shooting at dusk with some very strong handheld lights.

K-100 would do that great as would most inexpensive 16mm camera. I wouldn't go with super 8 for that, it would be so un-sharp that it would be far too annoying for any length of time. Fine for a shot or two but not much more.

While the look is cool for a little bit, I found extremely annoying for the whole piece.

Here's what i found on Wikipedia
"... In contrast to standard music video imagery, the film consists primarily of footage of the band members wandering around the farm, while Herbert utilizes close-ups, silhouettes, and slow motion footage. Herbert utilized rephotography during the editing process, which involved taking photographs of film frames at random, while also closing in or pulling back from the image with no regard to narrative. According to Buck, "It was really inexpensive to make and kind of fun. We just asked [Herbert] to edit something to four minutes' length, but he's used to making 20-minute films, that's the length he works in. He just made this film that goes along with the first side of the record."

Still nothing about either format...

Rig Wheels Passport

Tai Audio

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Glidecam

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies