#1 Wayne Smith III

Wayne Smith III

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

My subject is tan skinned, dark haired and green eyes. I'm doing an outdoor scene in a public area. I would like to give her the classic soft focus (typically done with blondes) "beautiful woman effect". I want light to go through her hair. and her eyes to shine. I may or may not have the use of a light kit. If I don't, i'll have to dampened on the sun, a reflector, and flash lights

any suggestions?

#2 Toby Orzano

Toby Orzano
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Electrician
  • Portland, OR

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

Do you have any reference images that demonstrate more specifically the look you are going for? Based on what you've said, I'm imagining you will want a good backlight to give her a halo rim light effect. Sounds like you won't have the big lights that you will need to do that for a day exterior, so you will have to rely on the sun by orienting her with her back to the sun. Then you will likely need to bounce some of that sunlight onto her face for fill and an eye light. Also, I'm assuming you don't actually want her to be out of focus, but rather to use a diffusion filter on the lens of your camera to give a soft look.

I'm also visualizing this being shot in slow motion with a fan (or wind) blowing her hair and thin sundress. Or am I reading too far into it... B)

#3 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:39 PM

I just keep thinking of that shot from Rear Window:

http://www.emulsionc...NDOW _1954_.jpg

Soft diffusion on the lens, good rim/hair light/ soft even lighting on the face, to minimize blemishes, and make her face not over-exposed, but try to keep it the focal point in the scene with make up, costuming, set design. And, also, go for a good eyelight and position it, I'd say, upper right of her pupils but try to keep it the only light reflected in the eye.

I also like the slo motion, which reminds me of Braveheart where, I think, they shot most of Gibson's wife at something like 32 fps, just slightly slowing her down in her singles whenever Wallace was watching her.

#4 Wayne Smith III

Wayne Smith III

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:06 PM

You are all correct!
Slow-mo, defused, taxi driver, Old school Hollywood look.

I'm still a little confused on lighting the eyes correctly to achieve twinkle.

#5 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

Eye light and diffusion. Basically a light source which reflects in the eyes and fill in under the brows a bit and makes them come to life. It can be a light or just a white piece of material if it's close enough in. The eyes are highly reflective so you don't need too much. Also look into an Obie Light.

#6 Bob Neil

Bob Neil

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Use the sun as your rim light and then use a big soft silver reflector as your key light then you are done. This is real basic lighting what is the problem? :rolleyes:

Eye light and diffusion. Basically a light source which reflects in the eyes and fill in under the brows a bit and makes them come to life. It can be a light or just a white piece of material if it's close enough in. The eyes are highly reflective so you don't need too much. Also look into an Obie Light.

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies