4 replies to this topic

#1 Ari Davidson

Ari Davidson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:14 AM

I was listening to podcast interview of Lance Acord ASC and he mentioned that are Red coming out with a 10k sensor. What bothered me about it is that he said that their intention was to revolutionize cinematography by giving the cinematographer the option to shoot one wide frame and then crop out the rest of the coverage in post. Has anyone else heard similar buzz?

#2 Ben Syverson

Ben Syverson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 March 2010 - 02:04 AM

I think the ability to crop into a master take could be useful for industrials or event videography, but it's hard to imagine it being used in narrative filmmaking. When was the last time you did a master and then left the camera there but just zoomed in for the close-up? Seems like it would wind up looking pretty static.

#3 Andrew Wilding

Andrew Wilding
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:23 PM

I think the ability to crop into a master take could be useful for industrials or event videography, but it's hard to imagine it being used in narrative filmmaking. When was the last time you did a master and then left the camera there but just zoomed in for the close-up? Seems like it would wind up looking pretty static.

I feel relatively comfortable saying that that is not at all there intention. They just want to offer up the best images that they can. And the ability to reframe in post because of the resolution is an added bonus. That one would "invent" coverage out of a single master shot is just absurd. That would be bland unimaginative filmmaking, no matter the resolution.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:53 PM

Could work in a remax of "Office Space." You know a long take looking at a computer screen with the only cuts being slight repositions from a single point... like being in cubical... or at a desk.. all day or night ( i used to work overnight shifts in a computer lab... 9 hours straight in ONE SPOT!)
Seriously, though, while I hadn't heard Lance's comments I would assume he was just referring to that as being an option. I doubt it would be a major trend, though it can be useful on occasion when you just don't get the chance to get all the shots you'd've wanted.

#5 Jeremy M Lundborg

Jeremy M Lundborg
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

The most obvious and purposeful use of this sensor type would be for special effects photography. Akin to the usage of 65mm for a 35mm films FX.

Next is stunt photography during which multiple angles and reframed action can be utilized to accessorize a sequence.

Beyond that, I don't know an actress that would be comfortable being shot in 10K, and therefore many practical uses go out the window.

I've seen the current crop of RED one cameras used on many occasions, by what I would consider incompetent filmmakers, to shoot one long two shot/wide shot of a scene, and later zoom in and establish coverage from the same shot. To me this plays like poor coverage choices in conjunction with bad directing.

Technodolly

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Opal

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport