4 replies to this topic

#1 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

I shot some footage recently at 29.97 that I want to edit into a timeline on final cut that is 23.98. 85% of the footage in the edit is shot at 23.98 so I need to keep that as the framerate. But when final cut converts the footage, it looks bad. Is there a way to convert it properly so it play right? Is there any tricks that can be done in Final Cut Studio or do i need to bring the footage to a proper post facility? And if so, what is it that they do?

Thanks,
Jase

#2 Paul Bruening

Paul Bruening

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 2858 posts
  • Producer
  • Oxford, Mississippi

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:06 PM

I don't know beans about FCP. I was under the understanding that cine speed in video was 23.976. Could that have anything to do with it?

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 March 2010 - 01:00 PM

The best conversion available today is Arri's Relativity software product. It's sort of like color timing in that it's a shot by shot hand tweaked process done at a facility by a highly skilled operator. Expect the cost to be similar, too.

It interpolates over several frames, so the thing to do is rough cut your 29.97 material with long handles, say 15 frames on both ends. Then take it to FotoKem in Burbank, they're the first in town to have Relativity. If you're not here, e-mail Arri to see where there's a local facility that has it.

Cut the conversions into your show as if they were the original.

-- J.S.

#4 Jase Ryan

Jase Ryan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:44 PM

Thanks John.

The best conversion available today is Arri's Relativity software product. It's sort of like color timing in that it's a shot by shot hand tweaked process done at a facility by a highly skilled operator. Expect the cost to be similar, too.

It interpolates over several frames, so the thing to do is rough cut your 29.97 material with long handles, say 15 frames on both ends. Then take it to FotoKem in Burbank, they're the first in town to have Relativity. If you're not here, e-mail Arri to see where there's a local facility that has it.

Cut the conversions into your show as if they were the original.

-- J.S.

#5 Michael Jasen

Michael Jasen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

Have you tried cinema tools? It's bundled with FCP Studio.

I recently shot a Super 16mm short transfered to HDCam. The edit and final output was 23.98. We used 29.97 footage and used cinematools to convert it to 23.98. It's really quick and easy.

The Slider

Technodolly

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies