#1 anthony derose

anthony derose
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Student
  • NYC

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:25 PM

This is work from my junior and thesis year at the School Of Visual Arts. Its 4k, HD, and S16. I realize its way to long I need to bring the running time down 1-1:30. Hopefully I will get some good feedback and have a idea what to trim. Also wish I could shoot more film projects. Out of a class of about 100 thesis film students, 50 of which are directors only 3 shot on film. Its kind of a shame, we had more RED projects this year. Oh well.

http://www.anthonyderose.com/reel.html

#2 Del Collens

Del Collens
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:25 AM

You can cut this WAY down in time and still be affective at showing your lighting skills.

- Cut out some of the beginning with the hitman/cop, shlt-can the guy with the tire or come in at half tracked back not the MCU, don't bother showing multiple shots of the same lighting in the room. You have a lot of good naturally lit shots here with video-- Either hang long on one, or find a glamour CU take to show your glamour capabilities coupled with a few seconds of the wide. The vial shot with the couch I'd 86.
(over all you have too much of this ACTOR in the beginning of YOUR cinematography reel, it's not his acting reel just remember that. Only pick the shots you think came out well and those that show decent composition and gets the point of the style variety across. I understood its style after three shots. (pick your favs))

- Kissing in the car, ditch. The tree scenes, beautiful-- cut the whole thing like you did from 1:15 to 2:00.
- Girl with the daisy sitting on the dolly while you track, shorten. The two shots directly after that have a light continuity thats noticeable possibly just from the shots selected.
- The overcast shots in the field on film look great, really great -- I'd take out the OTS of the door and the red flannel shots however and replace it from him inside looking to him exiting the building/then down the street- if possible.

I'd personally move the girl outside (5pm/the bridge) with the flower in here hair (3:12-3:29) to the end and END (last shot of reel) on the left profile shot at 3:25, it's a stronger shot than what you have as last at the moment. Maybe flip those two sections and shorten the girl with the mother (currently at the end) all together once moved.

There you go, make it short and sweet -- If I was a big or even small production company producer, UPM, director, assistant or even PA, I'm not about to watch 4 minutes of cinematography made for cinematography junkies -- So MAKE IT ZING! Like you want to impress the execs who don't know shilt about what you're doing.

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio