New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sound Department
  • London

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:58 AM

Hi!

Recently I´ve moved to London in order to keep improving in this complicated cinema path.
I went to the NFTS open day and I loved the school, I´m sure that this could be the place I need.
But I felt a little bit scared about the entry requirements, so I could really use your opinion.

I finished my sound engineering degree with good qualifications at SAE Madrid, I´ve a lot of experience as live engineer and studio mixer.
In the film field I´ve done a couple of short films (from location sound recorder to re recordind mixer, going through sound designer), one of these is actually being projected at international film festivals, all over the world.

I´m scared because I actually don´t know if this will be enough for them to accept my application form.
Apart from that, I don´t know if my age could be a good point or a bad one (I´ve seen that most of people at the school are in their mid twenties, I´m 21).

I will appreciate a lot you opinions, specially from people who´re studying there or at least have applied before.

Thanks a lot for your help!

#2 Jeremy Hunt

Jeremy Hunt
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

Hi!

Recently I´ve moved to London in order to keep improving in this complicated cinema path.
I went to the NFTS open day and I loved the school, I´m sure that this could be the place I need.
But I felt a little bit scared about the entry requirements, so I could really use your opinion.

I finished my sound engineering degree with good qualifications at SAE Madrid, I´ve a lot of experience as live engineer and studio mixer.
In the film field I´ve done a couple of short films (from location sound recorder to re recordind mixer, going through sound designer), one of these is actually being projected at international film festivals, all over the world.

I´m scared because I actually don´t know if this will be enough for them to accept my application form.
Apart from that, I don´t know if my age could be a good point or a bad one (I´ve seen that most of people at the school are in their mid twenties, I´m 21).

I will appreciate a lot you opinions, specially from people who´re studying there or at least have applied before.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hi

I understand comepltley where your coming from. But i got some info that will make you feel a bit better.

Like you i am thinking of appyling to the NFTS, and have similar concerns. But over the last few months i have worked with a few graduates and students on thier films, worked at the actual place and my mum went thier years before i was born.

The gerneral vibe i get is that its all about personality, and often industry prfoessionals of 10+ get turned away whislt someone who have barley done anything get in. It seems to me they put years together in terms of how you fit in with other people as a year group.

My mom actually got kicked out after comeplting a course becuase they said she wanted to stay their for the wrong reasons, she was studying sound and music at the time.

In other words, there dosnt seem to be anything you can really achieve that will garuntee you a place, other than being keen and intrested and a nice person.

But i guess il find out myself for real as well.

I cant vouch for sound, but at least cinematography, which is the second most competetive course follows this.

-Jeremy

Edited by Jeremy Hunt, 02 April 2010 - 01:55 PM.

#3 Javi Lopez

Javi Lopez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Sound Department
  • London

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:05 PM

Thanks a lot fot your reply Jeremy!

Hope they like me and can get in!

Cheers