Timothy Edwards

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

Hi there -

First time poster, long time watcher. I just finished directing a short on Kodak 7219 (Super16mm Vision 3 500T) and am looking at the one light HDcam transfers that I got back and they look a little grainy/noisy. Footage was shot on an Arri SR2, with Zeiss Super Speed primes at 2.8/4 in a room lit with mostly practical fluorescent lights (not kinos) with a temp around 4400K. Any thoughts? Or is this just what 7219 looks like? Here's a link to a still:

http://gallery.me.co...p;bgcolor=black

Cheers,
Tim

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 10 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

That's what it is supposed to look like, I think; kinda hard to tell from such a small size.

Kodak really does a disservice to student filmmakers selling them on 500T 16mm stocks. 16mm is grainy to begin with, so it behooves you to shoot as slow a stock as you can afford to light.

Now, keep in mind, it doesn't look bad, but I'm surprised you didn't do some sort of test first to determine if the look of the stock fit with your aesthetics. Also, IDK if you shot a third to two thirds of a stop over what you should've (at EI 320) or if you exposed right at 500T, but overexposing a film slightly always has the effect of "tightening up" grain because it exposes the lower-speed, finer grained grains too, instead of just having the coarsest grains exposed which gives the grainiest image.

#3 Timothy Edwards

Timothy Edwards

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

Thanks for replying. We did a camera test with this stock, and that was a little grainy too, but for lighting constraints had to go with 500T. Next time I'll be sure to over-expose a little more.

Cheers,
Tim

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Lower contrast in the scene doesn't help either; eye goes right to the grain. That being said, it's a lot better than you'd've gotten with the older '18 stock (which was still very good). Honestly, the '19 isn't all that bad in terms of grain, for a 500T, but you do need to give the eye more to look at, else you're bound to notice it (the grain).

#5 Bob Blankemeier

Bob Blankemeier

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

You need more light brother

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post