4 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

I'm thinking in investing in some 4x5.65 ND filters, but it just dawned on me that with all this digital now days, where IR is a problem especially when using ND, maybe I shouldn't.

I know they make an IR filter to use with NDs, but also make IR-ND filters. Are IRND filters better than using an IR filter with an ND?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 10 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

I'm thinking in investing in some 4x5.65 ND filters, but it just dawned on me that with all this digital now days, where IR is a problem especially when using ND, maybe I shouldn't.

I know they make an IR filter to use with NDs, but also make IR-ND filters. Are IRND filters better than using an IR filter with an ND?

Less glass is generally a good thing. The con to all that is that you won't want the IR filtration if and when you shoot film.

#3 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:48 PM

Yes, the less glass the better. Every surface has the potential to collect dirt and cost you resolution, make weird reflections, etc.

How much do you use Red cameras? They're the only one that had a severe IR problem. With the new MX sensor, they may have added IR filtration to their OLPF, which is what the rest of them do.

-- J.S.

#4 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:45 AM

I really don't do a great deal of RED work, but here and there. Not enough to buy a filter specifically for only the RED. I always push Directors to shoot film, but for the low budgets, I mostly get a lot of digital work. I was keeping IR Pollution in mind because I thought it was a common problem in most digital cameras, and many to come. But if that isn't the case, I should just stick to a set of regular NDs right?

#5 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 April 2010 - 03:06 AM

Yes, buy regular ND's, and rent the IR's if you rent a Red.

-- J.S.

K5600 Lighting

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

Cadrage Directors Viewfinder

Aerial Filmworks

Cinelicious

Pro 8mm

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC