Photo

Found: 35mm Film Reel, Some Kind of a Nut (1969)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zev Holland

Zev Holland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

So we found these film canisters of Some kind of a nut .

I havent seen them. My dad found it, and we're in different states. Question is, what do I do now?

We plan on selling them. I just dont know where, how much, etc.

Any suggestions?

(also, just so I dont get accused of people saying I shouldnt be posting on this forum, I'm a graphic designer. I work with title credits, motion graphics. I've also done a few short video productions, and have edited video "professionally".)

#2 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:15 AM

So we found these film canisters of Some kind of a nut .

I havent seen them. My dad found it, and we're in different states. Question is, what do I do now?

We plan on selling them. I just dont know where, how much, etc.

Any suggestions?

(also, just so I dont get accused of people saying I shouldnt be posting on this forum, I'm a graphic designer. I work with title credits, motion graphics. I've also done a few short video productions, and have edited video "professionally".)

Yeah, go over to 35mm Film Collector forums :

http://www.35mmforum...orums/index.php?

and sell them. 2 reels mean you either have a short or odd reels from a feature. With a name like that it's probably a short, but if they are odd reels, there's a section for that as well. You can also list 'em on Ebay. it has a section for films and trailers. ;)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 17 April 2010 - 03:18 AM.

#3 Zev Holland

Zev Holland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, go over to 35mm Film Collector forums :

http://www.35mmforum...orums/index.php?

and sell them. 2 reels mean you either have a short or odd reels from a feature. With a name like that it's probably a short, but if they are odd reels, there's a section for that as well. You can also list 'em on Ebay. it has a section for films and trailers. ;)

Thanks a ton! it's actually very hard to find the forums themselves. took me a while to find this one. had to google EXACTLY the right thing. It's a Dick Van Dyke movie from 1969... i believe it was a flop tho. who knows.
IMDB says it was 90min long. so odd reels then?

#4 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

You don't say if your Dad found 35mm reels or 16mm reels. The entire show could be on two 2,000ft 16mm reels. Many films were also distributed in 16mm for club screenings etc

#5 Zev Holland

Zev Holland

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

You don't say if your Dad found 35mm reels or 16mm reels. The entire show could be on two 2,000ft 16mm reels. Many films were also distributed in 16mm for club screenings etc

I say it in the topic. 35 mm. he claims they're 35mm

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:18 AM

Dominic is as always, absolutely correct, 2000 ft would be right for a 16mm feature intended for home projection rather than a 35mm which would have been been made up of 6 or more reels and intended for theatrical projection. check the width. 35mm is just under an inch and a half wide, 16mm is half that, just over 5/6s of an inch or so. It's far more likely a feature from '69 found in a home is 16mm. I have a home sound projector that I got from my dad of that era. Remember, 8mm silent or sound and 16mm portable sound projectors and a portable 4 ft screen with collapsible tripod legs were the home video of that time. The GOOD news is that there is a thriving 16mm collector community as well and you can find 16mm all over ebay some running almost as much as their 35mm counterparts as well as collector forums, so either way your dad wins.

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 18 April 2010 - 02:22 AM.

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider