5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:28 PM

My thanks to everyone who has supported the effort to keep Kodak Plus-X alive. I believe we have about 35 names. It's not a lot, but it's better than nothing.

I will be sending the petition to Kodak sometime this week. If anyone else wishes to get their names on it send your FULL NAME and an E-MAIL ADDRESS to

bill@richprod.com

I have not altered the petition since I last posted it here and it is viewable on my website at http://www.richprod.com

Thanks again.

#2 K Borowski

K Borowski
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3905 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • I.A.T.S.E. Local # 600 Eastern Region

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:23 PM

Again, hate to be negative, but it isn't better than nothing because you've wasted your valuable time.

The only petition they'll even LOOK at will have order amounts and credit card numbers next to the names, better yet one distributor name with all the orders combined together.

#3 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:54 PM

Again, hate to be negative, but it isn't better than nothing because you've wasted your valuable time.

The only petition they'll even LOOK at will have order amounts and credit card numbers next to the names, better yet one distributor name with all the orders combined together.

Karl,

I believe everyone got the point with your first post. I personally did not even need that one since you were stating what I already knew. What you look on as a waste of valuable time, I look on as taking a stand...something I do in and out of this field.

And if you really "hate to be negative" you wouldn't bother posting what is in effect a carbon copy of your first post.

Regards,
Bill

#4 Tim Halloran

Tim Halloran
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Other

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

Karl,

I believe everyone got the point with your first post. I personally did not even need that one since you were stating what I already knew. What you look on as a waste of valuable time, I look on as taking a stand...something I do in and out of this field.

And if you really "hate to be negative" you wouldn't bother posting what is in effect a carbon copy of your first post.

Regards,
Bill

Well said, Bill. Let it go, that dude is useless.

About the petition, well, I thought there would be more interested parties, but thanks for your time and effort nonetheless. So much for our "community" of dedicated FILMmakers.

Tim

#5 Todd Anderson

Todd Anderson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:51 PM

Maybe the best thing to do at this point is to have everyone that signed the petition send off a "new product request" over at Ilford for FP4 (125 ISO) in 16mm Motion Stock rolls as Richard Tuohy has suggested. Perhaps if Ilford knows that Kodak is no longer making a suitable B&W flim for the enthusiast & amateur market (i.e., fine grain for the small 16mm negative), they will be interested.

Perhaps Ilford being a smaller and more focused company, they have a more complimentary business plan for such users and the lower volume. I don't know if it translates to motion stock, but the Ilford FP4 still film rolls I buy have a expiration date through 2014. You would think that a four year shelf life is a reasonable enough span for at least a small batch to be run and to test sales. I personally would have paid twice the price for a roll of Plus-x had Kodak kept it as a specialty product.

RICHARDS COMMENTS BELOW:

"Ilford black and white do list their FP4 as a motion picture stock with a catalogue number for 35mm (200' lengths).
You can find it here in their current catalogue PDF
http://www.ilfordpho...61552402063.pdf
They also have a 'new product request' button in their 'products' tab.
http://www.ilfordpho...ductrequest.asp
If people are interested in this option for 16mm, why not submit the request. I have. I reckon if several people do it might eventually amount to something.
give it a go!
richard"

-Todd

#6 chris descor

chris descor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

I think Ilford is the best bet. IT is the Kodak tradition to kill off respected products and lose respect in the process.
Ilford have made motion picture film before, and its worth a try to request 16mm/35mm MPS of their FP4 film.
HOpefully reversal is possible.

Is their anyone on the forum with connections to FUJIfilm ? Would (Fuji) consider putting their B/W Neopan into 16mm/35mm ? any thoughts on this? perhaps the German companies like andec and wittner will referforate neopan into super8 and 16mm and then double the prices add on tax and shippign costs and wa-la, 85 EURO for 100ft 16mm b/w/ film, lol,

And lastly, what about Foma and ORWO ? ORWO do sell 100ASA and 400ASA b/w 16mm and 35mm film. What are the prices for these? i.e. how much is 100ft or 400ft of 16mm ORWO film?

Any other company that can do 100ASA black/white reversal?
------
I've sent a request for FP4 in super8/16mm/35mm to Ilford, I hope more people can do the same!!!

Edited by chris descor, 27 April 2010 - 06:41 AM.

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Opal

The Slider

CineLab