Mark p Davies

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

Hi Guys,

I've been away from filmmaking for a while and have kind of fallen out of sync with recent tech. I was hoping that someone might please be able to offer me some advice on whether or not I should upgrade my Canon XM2 (GL2) to a HFS21?

I use my XM2 mainly for filming indoor family history interviews, academic research purposes, and the odd wedding for friends. I would like an XH-A1 eventually but I'm not going to be able to afford that kind of money for a long time - if at all.

The problem I have got is that people are starting to pay me for my services and so I feel that I should be filming in HD (I use FCP and DVDSP).

In favour of sticking with the XM2 - I am thinking that the camera looks more "professional" than turning up with a palm-held camcorder; has more features that are more importantly easier to access than those on the HFS21 (which is touchscreen); and it feels more like a workhorse. Whilst it is not HD I think the images are still good.

In favour of the HFS21 - I am thinking that the HD is a major bonus - as is the tapeless media - and that given the majority of my filming is in controlled environments such as indoor interview situations - the only major thing I need access to quickly is zoom.

Looking at eBay I could probably get in the region of £600 to £700 for the XM2 which would be a good chunk towards the new one.

If anyone could offer any advice or opinions please, I'd be very grateful.

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

CineTape

Visual Products

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies