3 replies to this topic

#1 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

Okay, this is a newbie-ish question, which I asked on the RED board, but got no response.

How many of you DPs actually do the tech and physical maintenance on the cameras you use. Are you interested in the inner mechanism of whatever it is you're using to shoot your stuff, or are you strictly a "the camera is my tool" kind of guy?

I'm just kind of curious.

#2 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:43 PM

Very few of us will own our own cameras on big shoots, hence we don't have to worry about the inner mechanisms. Rentals comprise a large portion of the industry, don't forget. I mean, yeah, it's cool to know how things work, and I know I've figured out how some of the packages I have work--- but I leave the actual maintenance, major maintenance, to qualified professionals.
On set, that's the job of the ACs, as when you're DPing, you really don't always have time to worry about whatever hiccup is coming up.

#3 Jay Oxley

Jay Oxley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London, England

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:10 AM

Very few of us will own our own cameras on big shoots, hence we don't have to worry about the inner mechanisms. Rentals comprise a large portion of the industry, don't forget. I mean, yeah, it's cool to know how things work, and I know I've figured out how some of the packages I have work--- but I leave the actual maintenance, major maintenance, to qualified professionals.
On set, that's the job of the ACs, as when you're DPing, you really don't always have time to worry about whatever hiccup is coming up.

I totally agree with Adrian on this, but I think it varies on a case-to-case basis and the scale of the production. If it's a smaller production and the DP doubles as the camera operator, and focus puller and the kit is theirs then obviously chances are they'd maintain it as much as they possibly could. It should be sent off for servicing once in a while too. I work a rental house occasionally and I know that people come in, pick up kit and then just go and shoot. It is down to us and the supplying companies to ensure that the maintenance is kept up to date.

#4 John Brawley

John Brawley
  • Sustaining Members
  • 834 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Atlanta Georgia

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:28 AM

Okay, this is a newbie-ish question, which I asked on the RED board, but got no response.

How many of you DPs actually do the tech and physical maintenance on the cameras you use. Are you interested in the inner mechanism of whatever it is you're using to shoot your stuff, or are you strictly a "the camera is my tool" kind of guy?

I'm just kind of curious.

My first job was working in a camera rental company and I was exposed to a lot of the service and repair side of the gear.

I always rent gear and if it breaks I ring the rental company and say "bring me another one....this one's broken"

I know enough to detect and test for faults in the field...and I leave the fixing to the guys that own the gear and have the workshop to do it...

jb

rebotnix Technologies

CineTape

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Technodolly