Daniel Ramirez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

Ok Guys

Here's the deal am shooting with a HD sony handycam with a letus mini attached to it.

We are shooting a fighting scene and we want our actors lit and darkness around them. The problem is when i have gone out to do a little test shoot my footage comes back grainy because there isn't enough light! how can i fix this? any advice will help..

Thanks!

Danny

#2 Ian Cooper

Ian Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • Other
  • England

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:54 AM

Here's the deal am shooting with a HD sony handycam with a letus mini attached to it.

We are shooting a fighting scene and we want our actors lit and darkness around them. The problem is when i have gone out to do a little test shoot my footage comes back grainy because there isn't enough light! how can i fix this? any advice will help...

Are you trying to use autoexposure? If so, that will open the lens right up and then start adding gain to try and get an 'average' exposure from the darkness - hence the noise you're seeing.

If you use manual exposure, you can light your actors appropriately then manually set the exposure so it's correct for them, leaving the area outside where you've lit to fall into darkness.

If you're already using manual exposure but still seeing noise, then you've probably not got enough light on the actors. The more light you throw on the actors, the less gain and smaller the aperture (/iris) you need to use on the camera, and consequently the darker the background and the less noise you'll see.

#3 Daniel Ramirez

Daniel Ramirez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

Are you trying to use autoexposure? If so, that will open the lens right up and then start adding gain to try and get an 'average' exposure from the darkness - hence the noise you're seeing.

If you use manual exposure, you can light your actors appropriately then manually set the exposure so it's correct for them, leaving the area outside where you've lit to fall into darkness.

If you're already using manual exposure but still seeing noise, then you've probably not got enough light on the actors. The more light you throw on the actors, the less gain and smaller the aperture (/iris) you need to use on the camera, and consequently the darker the background and the less noise you'll see.

Cool thanks!

yea it was on auto exposure thats probably the reason. we are able to see the actors fine with what we lit but it just looked grainy.
ill go and mess with the exposure this next time.

thanks again!

CineTape

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineLab

Wooden Camera