Luke Sparkes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

Hello.
In about 1 month I will be shooting a music clip for a local hip&hop band and I need some help on how to do this.

At my knowledge the way a music clip is made, you play the song while shooting and the band sings along and then you edit it and synchronise it with the studio recorded song. Is this the right way to do it? Anything else I missed?

I really appreciate your input.

#2 Mihai Nicolau

Mihai Nicolau
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Other
  • Bucharest, Romania

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:53 AM

Hello.
In about 1 month I will be shooting a music clip for a local hip&hop band and I need some help on how to do this.

At my knowledge the way a music clip is made, you play the song while shooting and the band sings along and then you edit it and synchronise it with the studio recorded song. Is this the right way to do it? Anything else I missed?

I really appreciate your input.

Yep, as far as I know and seen this is how it's done. It might help that you also record audio in camera (if you're shooting digital) so that you have some reference when editing.

#3 Luke Sparkes

Luke Sparkes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:08 AM

Yep, as far as I know and seen this is how it's done. It might help that you also record audio in camera (if you're shooting digital) so that you have some reference when editing.

Ok thanks :)

#4 Mei Lewis

Mei Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • UK

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:01 AM

One way to do it:

Have them miming to the track as you record the video, and record the audio they're miming to along with the video as a guide track.
This audio doesn't need to be high quality.

Take the video (along with its audio guide track) into your video software, along with a hi quality copy of the original song.
Pan the original song audio hard left, and the guide track with the video hard right.

Manually slide the video around until it's guide track syncs with the original song. Having the audio panned left and right makes this easier.

#5 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

Another trick is make a quicktime of the track - that has the audio and large full screen timecode white text on black.

On the shoot use this quicktime as your source for the group to mime too - play it back off a laptop or video Ipod etc....

You can then use your laptop/ipod as a discount digi-slate - when you roll the track shoot a few seconds of the ipod/laptop screen and it will give you a visual timecode reference to where you are in the track.

This is good for quick pickups where your doing takes of just part of the track and telling the difference quickly between chorus 1, 2 or 3 etc.

#6 Luke Sparkes

Luke Sparkes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

Another trick is make a quicktime of the track - that has the audio and large full screen timecode white text on black.

On the shoot use this quicktime as your source for the group to mime too - play it back off a laptop or video Ipod etc....

You can then use your laptop/ipod as a discount digi-slate - when you roll the track shoot a few seconds of the ipod/laptop screen and it will give you a visual timecode reference to where you are in the track.

This is good for quick pickups where your doing takes of just part of the track and telling the difference quickly between chorus 1, 2 or 3 etc.

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.
I get the part where I make a quicktime that has the audio and a timecode but I don't get how I can take that and help me synchronise the shots.

This will help me because I will be taking many takes.

#7 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 27 April 2010 - 09:55 AM

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say.
I get the part where I make a quicktime that has the audio and a timecode but I don't get how I can take that and help me synchronise the shots.

This will help me because I will be taking many takes.

Hi see attached image - its a still from a music video I shot recently, it shows an iphone with full screen time code

The iphone is connected to a loud speaker system and the band are miming to the track played back on the iphone - the track on the iphone is a quicktime with full screen timecode so as the track plays on the iphone the timecode advances

So at the start of a take the track is playing on the iphone - we grab a quick shot of the iphone as if its a slate - so we can see the timecode, and know which bit of the song we are on, we then pull the iphone out the way, the camera keeps rolling and the performers start miming.

So every shot in the edit has the iphone in vision with a timecode reference at the beginning of it.

This helps you in the edit because on track one of the video in the timeline you put the quicktime with timecode - and you can over lay the shots of the iphone/laptop so that the timecode in your footage matches that of the quicktime in the edit - It does work - I may not be explaining it that well. Bit rushed still busy editing

Attached Files

#8 Luke Sparkes

Luke Sparkes

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:58 PM

I think I got you now. I see you're using FCP too, so to make this timecode I simply apply "Timecode Generator" under Video effect on Final Cut Pro 7, right? How though do I apply this on a timeline with only the song? Will it apply with a black background?

Thanks again

#9 Phil Connolly

Phil Connolly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Director
  • London

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

I think I got you now. I see you're using FCP too, so to make this timecode I simply apply "Timecode Generator" under Video effect on Final Cut Pro 7, right? How though do I apply this on a timeline with only the song? Will it apply with a black background?

Thanks again

Yes you can do timecode in fcp on a black background, using the generator. Use black slug on the timeline first for the duration of the song and add the timecode effect too it.

#10 Rob Vogt

Rob Vogt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:50 PM

I dont think theres anything in this video that hasnt been said already, but its a nice visual demonstration of what people are saying.

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Abel Cine

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Glidecam