#1 Annette Bigles

Annette Bigles

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

I am doing a short film for my thesis project with the New York Film Academy in California. Budget is 10k so I'm looking for people who would like to work for title. It's a story about a recovering alcoholic who's trying to get his family back. My shoot days are Aug 16 - 30th. I'm looking for DP, Gaffer, Grips, Electrics, and a Casting Director. If you're interested, please reply to this, send me a message or e-mail me at annettebigles@yahoo.com.

Thank you.

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:17 PM

I am doing a short film for my thesis project with the New York Film Academy in California. Budget is 10k so I'm looking for people who would like to work for title. It's a story about a recovering alcoholic who's trying to get his family back. My shoot days are Aug 16 - 30th. I'm looking for DP, Gaffer, Grips, Electrics, and a Casting Director. If you're interested, please reply to this, send me a message or e-mail me at annettebigles@yahoo.com.

Thank you.

That's an awful lot days for a short, and a lot of time to ask of people who won't get anything out of it. :ph34r:

#3 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:08 PM

Four days for free is asking for a lot, unless its an amazing script, offers unique technical opportunities, etc. Why are your fellow student working as crew on this? The question I frequently ask NYU and Columbia Film students is, "You can somehow afford $25,000 for tuition, why can't you pay experienced people in the field at least $100 a day?"

#4 darrin p nim

darrin p nim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca from Portland, Or

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Four days for free is asking for a lot, unless its an amazing script, offers unique technical opportunities, etc. Why are your fellow student working as crew on this? The question I frequently ask NYU and Columbia Film students is, "You can somehow afford $25,000 for tuition, why can't you pay experienced people in the field at least $100 a day?"

14 days...

#5 Brandon Del Nero

Brandon Del Nero
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Hollywood, CA

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

14 days to shoot a short?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? How many pages is this?

#6 JD Hartman

JD Hartman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1690 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Edison, N.J. U.S.A.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Even more absurd.

#7 BenjaminCarey

BenjaminCarey
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 June 2010 - 06:20 PM

I go to NYU. Believe me, paying for the school is extremely difficult. Which is why it's hard to pay day rates.

Edited by BenjaminCarey, 24 June 2010 - 06:20 PM.

#8 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:49 PM

I go to NYU. Believe me, paying for the school is extremely difficult. Which is why it's hard to pay day rates.

Perhaps you shouldn't be looking for professionals, then. There are a lot of students out there and many of them are very good and will come out for short productions for the experience and reel material.

#9 Vedran Rapo

Vedran Rapo
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Croatia

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:23 PM

Thank you.

Hey,
I would do it, just fly me over. :)

#10 Brian Drysdale

Brian Drysdale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5070 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 July 2010 - 03:44 AM

Perhaps it's one of those 1/2 hour shorts, certainly I'd expect that with that number of shooting days. They used to make fully funded higher budget shorts here (they paid people - not usually their full rate - and the film had to be delivered with 35mm prints), which had 6 day schedules for approx 15 min shorts. They and a lower budget 4 day shoot replacement scheme (definitely not full rate) were very successful on the festival circuit, winning quite a few awards. Now the scheme is digital and shoots 2 days for approx 5 mins running time (sometimes a bit longer), but they still pay the crew something. Schedules tend to be tighter these days, although some of these films were pretty busy for 12 hours, even on these schedules.

Using your fellow students should be the ideal for a thesis film.

#11 Annette Bigles

Annette Bigles

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 21 August 2010 - 02:55 PM

I pay less than that for tuition and manage it with student loans and a scholarship, and I still just barely make it. However, I am in production right now and going crazy that I won't have enough crew to finish it. If you know anyone who might be interested in working grip/electric, I'm offering $30 for tonight, otherwise $20/day. I know it's not much but at least it covers gas, and I do offer great food on set. I just don't have any more to give. I can't wait for the day I actually have a budget that pays people well for their work. However, the script truly is amazing, and the shots we got last night blew me away...something that I truly hadn't felt with my other shoots.

If you have any ideas where I can find grip/electrics willing to work for this, please let me know 787-449-7000. Thanks!

#12 Annette Bigles

Annette Bigles

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • P.A.

Posted 21 August 2010 - 03:00 PM

Actually we're only shooting 8 days. And I could really use help on the set, if you know anyone 787-449-7000.
Annette

#13 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:26 AM

People have shot features in less than 8 days. Your schedule is flawed.

#14 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:13 PM

People have shot features in less than 8 days. Your schedule is flawed.

Keep in mind that, for no pay, the crew will probably not be efficient professionals. For example, my thesis in school took about that long and cut out to 22 minutes.

Glidecam

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery