#1 matt rogers

matt rogers

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

I'm wondering if anyone here has shot anything w/ expired Super 8mm film, specifically I have a number of reels of Kodak Vision2 color negative 500T/7218 and 200T/7217 that I bought in 2006. Has been stored at room temp, not in a freezer, unfortunately. I might also have some B/W from the same period laying around. My thought was to use it for B-roll, but wondering if the risk of using old film is worth the cost.
Many thanks!

#2 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:24 PM

I'm wondering if anyone here has shot anything w/ expired Super 8mm film, specifically I have a number of reels of Kodak Vision2 color negative 500T/7218 and 200T/7217 that I bought in 2006. Has been stored at room temp, not in a freezer, unfortunately. I might also have some B/W from the same period laying around. My thought was to use it for B-roll, but wondering if the risk of using old film is worth the cost.
Many thanks!

B&w should be totally fine.
200t I'm guessing might be okay.
500T might be a bit dodgy. I expect it has deteriorated but who knows you might like the look! ;)

Best to keep film in at least the fridge in a ziplock freezer bag. Pref in the freeezer.

love

Freya

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:47 PM

B&w should be totally fine.
200t I'm guessing might be okay.
500T might be a bit dodgy. I expect it has deteriorated but who knows you might like the look! ;)

Best to keep film in at least the fridge in a ziplock freezer bag. Pref in the freeezer.

love

Freya

yes, long term storage in a freezer, short term in the fridge. You can't do a clip test, unless someone here knows of a trick to do so with super 8.

Tell the lab this prior to your shoot and see what they will recommend. I'd say that with the 7218, the only stock in question, I would over expose more than one stop depending upon the scene. If it is a scene with more midtones and shadow, then overexpose two stops if you can. A scene with more highlights or any prominent highlights, I would do a stop and a third. But in any case,
7218 is quite forgiving, overexpose away.

#4 matt rogers

matt rogers

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:21 PM

Many thanks for your responses, greatly appreciate it. The B/W stock is KODAK Tri-X reversal 7266. It was also purchased in 2006. Basically I'll be shooting in a rehearsal space, not great light, but decent. I've never really shot w/ super 8, so I don't have a particular lab; I'm in NYC. This stock was bought for a shoot that fell through originally. I've a Sankyo xl-620 supertronic super 8 camera.
Thanks again for all your comments!

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

Many thanks for your responses, greatly appreciate it. The B/W stock is KODAK Tri-X reversal 7266. It was also purchased in 2006. Basically I'll be shooting in a rehearsal space, not great light, but decent. I've never really shot w/ super 8, so I don't have a particular lab; I'm in NYC. This stock was bought for a shoot that fell through originally. I've a Sankyo xl-620 supertronic super 8 camera.

The advice to overexpose the negative is good but don't do this with reversal, it doesn't work that way. You need to make sure you still nail your reversal exposures bang on. I think the B&W will be fine anyway. B&W is good like that!

Clip tests are not going to work with S8 carts of course, so it's suck it and see I'm afraid.

The pictures from the 500T may end up looking strange but there will still be pictures.
The 200T has a better chance of being good tho.

love

Freya

#6 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:00 PM

Not to sound like a jerk here, but there is little excuse for not great light. What are you shooting? What style is the pieces? You can use many very inexpensive lights that are around the house already or easily purchased. You will need a descent f stop, so go get some lights. 500 watt work lights work great for some stuff.

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Glidecam