5 replies to this topic

#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:28 AM

Hi gang. As I stated in a previous thread, I am planning on scanning my 16mm short film. My question is, if I get it output to a DPX file, will that file format be recognized on a Mac computer so that I could burn DVDs on my own? Or would I have to go back to the labs for that?

Thanks for any help.

#2 John Sprung

John Sprung
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4635 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:25 PM

I'd have the facility scan to a DPX stack, and archive it on LTO. Then convert to ProRes and a DVD image file, which you could take home on a hard drive. Check the price, they may even make a DVD for not much money, and you could use that in a duplicating tower.

-- J.S.

#3 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 06 May 2010 - 08:05 AM

Hi gang. As I stated in a previous thread, I am planning on scanning my 16mm short film. My question is, if I get it output to a DPX file, will that file format be recognized on a Mac computer so that I could burn DVDs on my own? Or would I have to go back to the labs for that?

Thanks for any help.

Yes, a mac will recognize DPX files. Which program you use matters. Are you using a Final Cut Studio platform? If so, Color can make quicktime files from your DPX stacks and from those quicktimes you can make DVDs. Also, Graphics Converter does a descent job of batch processing dpx to quicktime. With it you can also do a quick "auto balance" while converting to quicktime. Keep in mind that dpx files take up huge amounts of storage space and converting them can take a while. I did all this rescently for a S16 short, worked out great.

Gluetools, which is yet another Final Cut plugin, allows you to work with dpx files directly in Final Cut. I have not used Gluetools, perhaps someone who has will answer.

#4 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 06 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

Yes, a mac will recognize DPX files. Which program you use matters. Are you using a Final Cut Studio platform? If so, Color can make quicktime files from your DPX stacks and from those quicktimes you can make DVDs. Also, Graphics Converter does a descent job of batch processing dpx to quicktime. With it you can also do a quick "auto balance" while converting to quicktime. Keep in mind that dpx files take up huge amounts of storage space and converting them can take a while. I did all this rescently for a S16 short, worked out great.

Gluetools, which is yet another Final Cut plugin, allows you to work with dpx files directly in Final Cut. I have not used Gluetools, perhaps someone who has will answer.

Thanks a lot, Chris. Yes, I will be using FCP Studio. My finished B&W short will be about 8 minutes in length. I am only getting the finished product scanned. Can you give me an approximate size that you think the file may wind up being?

Thanks again.

#5 Elliot Rudmann

Elliot Rudmann
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:52 AM

Can you give me an approximate size that you think the file may wind up being?

Thanks again.

8 minutes will be about 113 gigabytes worth of dpx files, since one 2k dpx frame of Super 16 (2048x1260) is about 10 mb. A little smaller if it was scanned at HD. How big the quicktime file is (or m2v/mpeg2 file if you're going to burn to dvd) depends on your compression settings.

#6 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:45 PM

8 minutes will be about 113 gigabytes worth of dpx files, since one 2k dpx frame of Super 16 (2048x1260) is about 10 mb. A little smaller if it was scanned at HD. How big the quicktime file is (or m2v/mpeg2 file if you're going to burn to dvd) depends on your compression settings.

Thanks a lot!

Glidecam

CineLab

Metropolis Post

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc