4 replies to this topic

#1 Lorenzo Levrini

Lorenzo Levrini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:36 AM

Hi Guys. I'm doing an outdoor location shoot in the English countryside this summer for a road trip short. The story calls for a feeling of intense heat and disorientation as tension mounts between the characters. I'm imagining a blinding sun effect shown through flare and the associated contrast reduction, without ever seeing the sun. We will obviously film at times when the weather works with us and the sun is in the right place in the sky, but I was toying with the idea of aiming an off-camera light into the lens slightly off-axis to create the aforementioned flare and 'blinding sun' effect, and wanted to know if any of you have done this and if you have any tips.

Thanks!

#2 Lorenzo Levrini

Lorenzo Levrini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:40 AM

I forgot to mention that we will be shooting on 5Dmk2 with good quality Canon primes that should be able to handle the flare well.

#3 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 10 May 2010 - 06:04 AM

I think that'll be more dependent on the lens than the camera - in fact, "better" lenses might produce a result you like less readily than "worse" ones. All I can suggest is that you try it and see.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

I got some beautiful sun flares with a 7D/EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS USM shooting towards the setting sun in the desert east of Las Vegas. The images had a nice balance of scenery, flare, and multiple sun images. That lens is very close to an "L" series lens in terms of glass and design so you might be best planning on using "L" lenses. You mentioned you were planning on using primes but zooms give a much more complex and interesting flared look since they're a more complicated design.

#5 Lorenzo Levrini

Lorenzo Levrini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Student

Posted 10 May 2010 - 10:20 AM

Thanks, but I'm not really worried about the flare characteristics of the lenses, I don't need massive flaring or anything. I wanted to talk about the specific technique of shining light into lenses rather than using the sun.

Metropolis Post

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab