Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 13 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

Hello all,
I'm in the market for a crab dolly for my high school film program. I found a mcallister a couple months back but my school couldn't approve the financing in time. I've stumbled across a moviola crab, and the broker is asking what I'm willing to pay for it, so I'm wondering what a usual going price is for these guys today. A range would be great.

Thanks,
Ross

Edited by Ross Neugeboren, 13 May 2010 - 07:38 AM.

#2 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Grip
  • Anywhere they pay me to go

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:22 PM

Hello all,
I'm in the market for a crab dolly for my high school film program. I found a mcallister a couple months back but my school couldn't approve the financing in time. I've stumbled across a moviola crab, and the broker is asking what I'm willing to pay for it, so I'm wondering what a usual going price is for these guys today. A range would be great.

Thanks,
Ross

Hi Ross,
That question is pretty open ended. It depends on what shape the Dolly is in. All I can say is that if you are getting a Moviola, please make sure you have 4 guys with strong backs to carry that beast around.

Sanjay Sami

#3 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:40 AM

Hi Ross,
That question is pretty open ended. It depends on what shape the Dolly is in. All I can say is that if you are getting a Moviola, please make sure you have 4 guys with strong backs to carry that beast around.

Sanjay Sami

Yeah, at the time I had an email into the broker to get condition information but hadn't heard back. Cosmetically the dolly is in perfect condition, previous owner was panavision so I imagine its been well maintained. I've been told that the hydraulics have been meticiously checked, the arm travels smoothly, and there are no leaks.

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, at the time I had an email into the broker to get condition information but hadn't heard back. Cosmetically the dolly is in perfect condition, previous owner was panavision so I imagine its been well maintained. I've been told that the hydraulics have been meticiously checked, the arm travels smoothly, and there are no leaks.

How much do they want for it?

#5 Ross Neugeboren

Ross Neugeboren
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Electrician
  • Greater NYC

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:07 AM

How much do they want for it?

They told me the last one they sold (which was cosmetically overhauled) went for 30k. I'm thinking of offering 10-15k, and that's even pushing it for the school.

#6 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

They told me the last one they sold (which was cosmetically overhauled) went for 30k. I'm thinking of offering 10-15k, and that's even pushing it for the school.

Yeah, well there's one born every minute and they're gonna tell you a lot of things. I've seen 'em in good working condition on ebay for around 3 to 6k so I would offer 'em 8 maybe 10 if you really like it. There are a LOT of alternative in the 30 grand range so don't worry if they turn you down. You got everything working on your side. Moviolas aren't all that popular anymore, they are heavy as hell, almost impossible to put on a track and a bit unwieldy. Treat this like looking for a used car, keep your eyes open and wait for a deal. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 16 May 2010 - 06:06 PM.

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Ritter Battery

Opal

Glidecam

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport