10 replies to this topic

#1 Rich Kalinsky

Rich Kalinsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hi...I've been lurking here for years. I tried unsuccessfully to register a few times...

My name has come up many times, as I was the owner of Raw Stock Inc., and I've sold millions of feet of film.

As some of you know, I recently became the East Coast representative of Fujifilm USA.

It was an exciting opportunity that I couldn't pass up, although I do miss the folks that used to sell to me and buy from me.

I know it sounds like a cheap plug, but, surprisingly, sales of Fujifilm are actually going up in this declining marketplace...maybe it's the stock, maybe the price, probably a combination of both.

I've never been a technical expert, but I always made sure my shipments arrived on time at a good price...so that's my starting point for my new adventure.

I can still be contacted at my old phone numbers and email address (recans@aol.com), or you can email me at rkalinsk@fujifilm.com (no "y" at the end of my name in the email address...)

Feel free to send me a note or call with questions, recommendations, information, or just to say "Hi!"

Thanks! Rich

#2 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 18 May 2010 - 05:48 PM

Welcome Rich, it's nice to see you here.

The news that Fuji film sales are going up warms my heart.

#3 Rich Kalinsky

Rich Kalinsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

I'll be at Cine Gear in LA the first weekend in June at the Fujifilm booth.

#4 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 19 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

Welcome Rich,

Echoing Bruce's remark :It's good to have you on board,

Sincerely, Bernie.

#5 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 May 2010 - 09:51 PM

Hey Rich,

I'm shooting a short on 8553, aiming for digital finish. What issues might I have if I'm forced to underexpose by a stop, or a stop and a half?

#6 Rich Kalinsky

Rich Kalinsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:23 PM

Hey Rich,

I'm shooting a short on 8553, aiming for digital finish. What issues might I have if I'm forced to underexpose by a stop, or a stop and a half?

PM sent.

#7 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:07 AM

Turned out to be a blue sky day. Shot DAY - INT, 90% natural light, with the 85 filter, and 1/3 stop extra for a rating of 120asa. I am blown away by the shoulder of this film. Please let me do an ad for why it makes sense to shoot your low-budget short on 35mm!

#8 Roger Richards

Roger Richards
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Producer

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:36 PM

Good to see you here, Rich. Thanks for all the help you gave me with film stock.

#9 Jim Carlile

Jim Carlile
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:21 AM

Here's the perfect question for you, since you seem to be the goto guy for Fuji now (congratulations!):

What is the possibility of getting Fuji's elusive Neopan B/W 16mm film distributed here in the U.S.?

Now that Kodak has us down to one B/W reversal stock and one negative, there just might be a market for it! We've lost Plus-X, so could Neopan be in the future...?

Exactly where is it sold these days? Fuji makes it sound mysterious....

#10 Rich Kalinsky

Rich Kalinsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:43 AM

Here's the perfect question for you, since you seem to be the goto guy for Fuji now (congratulations!):

What is the possibility of getting Fuji's elusive Neopan B/W 16mm film distributed here in the U.S.?

Now that Kodak has us down to one B/W reversal stock and one negative, there just might be a market for it! We've lost Plus-X, so could Neopan be in the future...?

Exactly where is it sold these days? Fuji makes it sound mysterious....

#11 Rich Kalinsky

Rich Kalinsky
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Industry Rep

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:03 AM

There's really no demand for Black and White stocks as far as I can tell. From a business perspective, and Fuji and Kodak are businesses, even if all the folks on the petitions actually ordered significant amounts of stock, it would still barely be a spit in the ocean.

If I were into the discontinued stock and really wanted them, I'd call the dealers worldwide, and buy whatever I could find and store it.
If the plus X stocks were gone, I'd learn to use the other B and W stocks or experiment with color neg.

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

New Pro Video - New and Used Equipment

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Visual Products

Glidecam

The Slider

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS