• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:54 PM

I know I'm a bit late with this, but it's amazing to see something that looks like this but that doesn't have Americans in it:

Of course, they've carefully produced only a few eps' worth of it, ensuring that our near-unbroken record of not making an international success of things will remain intact.

It's no surprise that it wasn't produced by the BBC; it'd never have made it past the Department of Mediocrity that's there to ensure that the BBC doesn't ever produce anything that's more than 15% more interesting than watching paint that's already dry. More than a few noodles would have been baked at the world's richest media organisation if they'd have found themselves broadcasting anything this nicely produced. What is slightly surprising is that it was shown, by Sky, against a live football match, which will of course have eviscerated its ratings; the result is that I suspect it cost every viewer more than a pound each in terms of production costs.

This may be why we don't bother very much. But we can do it. Honest.

P

#2 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 May 2010 - 02:19 PM

Yeah looks good Phil, production values all appear to be first class, etc.

My only complaint is that it's about the Iraq War. I got Iraq war fatigue about five years ago, I just can't watch that stuff any more. The news media has it front and centre every night, they never shut-up about it.

I think this is a big reason why The Hurt Locker did so badly at the US box office. The American public has the Iraq war rammed down their throats every night on the news, they just can't take any more. Lining up to pay and see the Iraq War on the big screen was a bit much for most people who are trying to get away from it.

So in conclusion, what the world really needs is a funny light hearted family comedy about a British bulldog in the mafia :D

R,

#3 Joseph Arch

Joseph Arch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Director

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:16 AM

It looks well shot. Was this shot on 16mm or HD?

To me it looks like film but I could be wrong. Still learning.

#4 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:10 AM

Yeah looks good Phil, production values all appear to be first class, etc.

My only complaint is that it's about the Iraq War. I got Iraq war fatigue about five years ago, I just can't watch that stuff any more. The news media has it front and centre every night, they never shut-up about it.

I think this is a big reason why The Hurt Locker did so badly at the US box office. The American public has the Iraq war rammed down their throats every night on the news, they just can't take any more. Lining up to pay and see the Iraq War on the big screen was a bit much for most people who are trying to get away from it.

So in conclusion, what the world really needs is a funny light hearted family comedy about a British bulldog in the mafia :D

R,

Interesing, because you rarely hear about either Iraq or Afghanistan here in California.

On the movie; the trailer looks good. Believe it or not, I tend to like foreign mainstream stuff better than American commercial films. I just think they're better. No focus group crap in them.

FJS International, LLC

Opal

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Visual Products

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

Tai Audio