#1 Stephen Floyd

Stephen Floyd
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Winlock, WA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:45 PM

I have contacted a local seller on craigslist about buying a DVX 100a for aroud $1,100. I'm pretty sure I can tell if the camera is in working condition, but what should I look for to tell if this guy in on the level? He says no one but me has expressed interest in buying the camera, and I could not find his name or email address on any searches I conducted. Should any of that matter as long as the camera works?

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

I have contacted a local seller on craigslist about buying a DVX 100a for aroud $1,100. I'm pretty sure I can tell if the camera is in working condition, but what should I look for to tell if this guy in on the level? He says no one but me has expressed interest in buying the camera, and I could not find his name or email address on any searches I conducted. Should any of that matter as long as the camera works?

Look at the tape hours and ask about a service record. If it's more than maybe a couple hundred hours and it's never been serviced, I'd pass.

#3 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:06 PM

Save your money, buy a T2i :)

#4 Stephen Floyd

Stephen Floyd
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Winlock, WA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:16 AM

I ended up getting the camera and it has worked out great. The gentleman I bought it from had been using it for wedding videos and said he was sick of making them. I'm going to use it for digital shorts, and I have already found use for it as a "B" camera on a local feture production.

Thanks for the help.

#5 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:39 AM

I ended up getting the camera and it has worked out great. The gentleman I bought it from had been using it for wedding videos and said he was sick of making them. I'm going to use it for digital shorts, and I have already found use for it as a "B" camera on a local feture production.

Thanks for the help.

why did you spend 1100 on an SD camera. You could have purchase a lot more camera for that amount of money.

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7118 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:07 AM

Not really for video cameras. DVXs are still going for 'round 1500 these days, used, from BH, and despite it being SD it still has a place in production-- especially documentary or for-web video where vDSLRs and even "hd" systems don't quite fit.

#7 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11943 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

You could have purchase a lot more camera for that amount of money.

I'm not so sure about that, either. The DVX was and is a really, really seriously good little SD camera. It is certainly a much better SD camera than most of the current crop are as HD cameras. The Sony EX series, the Canon equivalent, even the JVC stuff (although they're not -as- bad) have a lot of pixels and not much else. The DVX is a genuinely nice camera and I can see buying one if you have that very specific specific need for a 4:3 SD machine.

P

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Tai Audio

Opal

CineLab

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape