• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Australia

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hi Forum,

I could really use some help...

In this film I making for school, during the introductory scene, I have a student walking to school listening to his iPod. I envision the film starting off inside the iPod, showing the silicon chips, and frame, which travels up the cords to the ear phones, which then zooms out to a view of the student walking.

My problem is the visual effects of the inside of iPod. I'm not really sure how to do this.

Is there any advice that someone can give me?

Thanks

Shaun Gillies
Shattered Hill Studios

#2 Evan Ferrario

Evan Ferrario
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Director

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:37 AM

Sounds reminiscent of the first shot of Fight Club which starts in on the molecules of the gun and pulls out to reveal the scene. To do what you want you really need some nice CGI for the beginning of the shot. Then at some point it would transition from the CGI into the real shot of the guy walking with his ipod. The problem with filming something small to look big is that you need a camera of proportional size, so if you wanted to film inside an ipod, you would need a really tiny camera.

The other option is to make a large ipod which you can use a regular sized camera with. In this case, I would suggest finding a large computer motherboard and figuring out a way to transition out of the ipod and into the shot of the ipod listener.

I assume you don't have a CGI genius friend so it will take a lot of creativity to pull off what you want to do. And I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, but it's always a good idea to ask, does this shot further my story in a important way or is it just a really cool shot. However, If it is necessary in your eyes, there are a million ways to do what you want, it's just about finding the way which is possible for you. I would think hard about all the people and tools you have available to you and move forward from there with a plan to pull it off.

#3 Shaun Gillies

Shaun Gillies

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Student
  • Australia

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:12 PM

Sounds reminiscent of the first shot of Fight Club which starts in on the molecules of the gun and pulls out to reveal the scene. To do what you want you really need some nice CGI for the beginning of the shot. Then at some point it would transition from the CGI into the real shot of the guy walking with his ipod. The problem with filming something small to look big is that you need a camera of proportional size, so if you wanted to film inside an ipod, you would need a really tiny camera.

The other option is to make a large ipod which you can use a regular sized camera with. In this case, I would suggest finding a large computer motherboard and figuring out a way to transition out of the ipod and into the shot of the ipod listener.

I assume you don't have a CGI genius friend so it will take a lot of creativity to pull off what you want to do. And I'm not trying to shoot down your idea, but it's always a good idea to ask, does this shot further my story in a important way or is it just a really cool shot. However, If it is necessary in your eyes, there are a million ways to do what you want, it's just about finding the way which is possible for you. I would think hard about all the people and tools you have available to you and move forward from there with a plan to pull it off.

Thank you for your reply.

And normally I would brush off this idea, as it does seem quite impossible to do. However, later in the film, you see the inside of the iPod break. The story revolves around this guy who has a disability, where, in order to prevent attacks of psychosis, he needs continual soothing music. When the iPod breaks, he loses control, and has to be taken to an asylum.

But that's not important. I very much like the idea of a computer motherboard. With my friends, that won't be a problem to get a hold of.

Thank you for your input.

Shaun Gillies
Shattered Hill Studios

#4 Trevor Swaim

Trevor Swaim
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

Sounds reminiscent of the first shot of Fight Club which starts in on the molecules of the gun and pulls out to reveal the scene.

Actually its "Jacks firing synapses of the brain". Then it flows out to the gun pressed against his head.

CineTape

CineLab

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio