#1 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:06 AM

I'm curious why the Pual Bruining thread was shut down, I know the last post by his wife was pretty weird, is Paul not dead and she is going off the deep end or what? I've spoken to Paul on several occasions and know he had a heart attack a while back. At that time I bought a lot of equipment from him that, due to adverse financial circumstances with the economy bottoming out and all, I have yet to ship here and I considered Paul a friend though we had only spoken over the phone. What's the deal? I certainly don't want to cast dispersions on a grieving widow, but I'm confused and need to make sense of this on several levels. I have his number and will call tomorrow, but if someone has an answer, please enlighten me. Thanks :huh:

#2 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:20 AM

http://www.legacy.co...g&pid=143152673

Seems legit to me. I know he lived in Oxford, Miss. So it can't be a coincidence.

Paul, you will be missed.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

If there's an obit, I'm sure it's true then. Very sad.

Paul was born the same year as me, I guess that is a wake-up call.

#4 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:11 AM

We'd had a lot of very interesting technical discussions both on and off the forum.

Sheesh, 48. That's not fair.

P

#5 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:11 AM

I'm curious why the Pual Bruining thread was shut down, I know the last post by his wife was pretty weird,

I thought the post from his wife was really nice and thoughtful actually.
I do know what you mean tho, it is very much shocking news to just find on the forum one day.
Even those who have never met or spoken to him, feel we know him somewhat through the forum I am sure, so it's very sad to know we won't hear from him again.

I hope for more positive things for his family in the future, in spite of their loss.

Very sad news.

love

Freya

#6 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:12 PM

I was skeptical of Karen's announcement after researching her previous posts: http://www.cinematog...88

I've re-opened her latest thread after reading the published obit.

If I discover foul play, I'll simply remove both of these threads.

#7 George Ebersole

George Ebersole
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:13 PM

I'm curious why the Pual Bruining thread was shut down, I know the last post by his wife was pretty weird, is Paul not dead and she is going off the deep end or what? I've spoken to Paul on several occasions and know he had a heart attack a while back. At that time I bought a lot of equipment from him that, due to adverse financial circumstances with the economy bottoming out and all, I have yet to ship here and I considered Paul a friend though we had only spoken over the phone. What's the deal? I certainly don't want to cast dispersions on a grieving widow, but I'm confused and need to make sense of this on several levels. I have his number and will call tomorrow, but if someone has an answer, please enlighten me. Thanks :huh:

When someone passes away it take a while for friends and family to pick up the pieces. Losing a close loved one is absolutely no fun. I'd be careful about the phone call. Maybe call to express your condolences.

Just as a matter of course here, since his wife posted here, she's probably read your thread.

#8 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:04 PM

Perhaps you're right. I'll give her a call in a few days. What a damn shame. He was a good guy.

#9 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 28 May 2010 - 05:02 AM

I was skeptical of Karen's announcement after researching her previous posts: http://www.cinematog...88

I've re-opened her latest thread after reading the published obit.

If I discover foul play, I'll simply remove both of these threads.

er yes! Very sensible given the circumstances. (Yowch!)
Thanks for the clarification.

Ironically I'd love to hear that it is a sick joke but I guess we will see.

love

Freya

#10 Keith Walters

Keith Walters
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2219 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:58 PM

At least we can be grateful that in this case Karen was able to come here and tell us what had happened. John Pytlak was able to organize for his daughter to do the same when he passed away, which was very thoughtful of him.

It reminds me that I've encountered quite a few cases over the years (on many types of forum) where long-term and prolific posters just suddenly vanish with no warning and no explanation. There's always the uncomfortable thought that something has happened to them, and often there's simply no way of finding out.

I actually only joined Facebook after I stumbled on a funeral notice in a three-month-old newspaper, for a person with the same name and about the right age as a guy I worked with about 40 years ago. To get access to anybody's friends' names so you can send them an email, you have to start your own page, (which has actually pulled in a large number of acquaintances I haven't seen for decades).

Anyway, it was actually the same guy, and at present, unless you have access to the person's Faceboook password, there's no simply way you can inform people that they're no longer with us.

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products

Aerial Filmworks

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Opal

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape