Photo

"The Lonely Moan" Death Valley footage with Vintage, 1920's-30's Era Cooke Lenses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:01 AM

The Death Valley shots in this film were captured with a newly PL mounted set of 1920's and 1930's era Cooke Speed Panchros that my brother in law recently had PL modified for his Aaton. They certainly have a life of their own.

Film is scored by The Besnard Lakes, "The Lonely Moan" from their latest album, "The Besnard Lakes Are the Roaring Night," is composed of 2nd unit demo-footage filmed for a work-in-progress documentary project about the John Glanton led band of scalp-hunters who menaced the Mexican border in 1860.

Based on Blood Meridian and My Confession: The Recollections of a Rogue.

#2 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 29 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Joe

Is there anywhere else I can view this video? My laptop won't play Vimeo movies for some reason

#3 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 29 May 2010 - 10:16 PM

Joe

Is there anywhere else I can view this video? My laptop won't play Vimeo movies for some reason

Hello Stuart,

Vimeo is the only site I have this posted on. If it's HD that's giving you computer fits, you might have luck turning the "HD" setting off.

#4 Saul Rodgar

Saul Rodgar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1682 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:07 PM

Very nice. You used these vintage lenses on a RED One, right? After hearing a number of camera people throughout the years routinely dismiss older lenses as "obsolete lens technology," this certainly shows how "modern" lenses do not necessarily produce "better" (whatever that means) images than properly cared-for "vintage" ones. Sure, modern lenses may be sharper, breath less, be more flare resistant, be optically and color non-aberrant, etc . . . But when it comes to producing aesthetically-pleasant images, there is no perfect recipe for success. I'd be curious to see how these lenses perform when paired with modern film stocks, tho.

Edited by Saul Rodgar, 30 May 2010 - 01:09 PM.

#5 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

Hello Stuart,

Vimeo is the only site I have this posted on. If it's HD that's giving you computer fits, you might have luck turning the "HD" setting off.

Thanks Joe, that worked. Your footage looks stunning as usual. Good luck with the documentary!

#6 Bruce Taylor

Bruce Taylor
  • Sustaining Members
  • 482 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:54 PM

Wow, those are some stunning images. If I saw them in a film I would assume many of them involved special effects; but I know a little of what Death Valley is like-- truly otherworldly things happen with light out there.

Were some of the shots undercranked? Or were the cloud movements natural?

#7 Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

Hello

Thank everybody! Most of the shots are slightly undercranked, 5-12 fps. There are several shots are are true time-lapse shots 1-3 fps.

#8 Frank Glencairn

Frank Glencairn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Germany

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Very nice. You used these vintage lenses on a RED One, right? After hearing a number of camera people throughout the years routinely dismiss older lenses as "obsolete lens technology," this certainly shows how "modern" lenses do not necessarily produce "better" (whatever that means) images than properly cared-for "vintage" ones. Sure, modern lenses may be sharper, breath less, be more flare resistant, be optically and color non-aberrant, etc . . . But when it comes to producing aesthetically-pleasant images, there is no perfect recipe for success. I'd be curious to see how these lenses perform when paired with modern film stocks, tho.

Word! I use my vintage Zeiss medium format primes religiously on the HVX200 and the 5D.
Maybe not for everyone, but I just love that "buttersharp" look.

Some examples:
her http://frankglencair...modern-cameras/
and here: http://frankglencair...ersharp-primes/

Frank

Edited by Frank Glencairn, 04 July 2010 - 12:45 PM.

The Slider

Technodolly

CineTape

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Ritter Battery