#1 Paulo Eduardo Uchoa

Paulo Eduardo Uchoa
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:42 PM

I just finished a short film using the canon 5d and one thing that I noticed was that I would measure the distance from camera to subject, match it with the lens then I would double check the focus by using the zoom feature and I found out that I was always off by just a tiny bit. So I am wondering if using the zoom feature makes it seem like I'm doing an imax kinda focus check.

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:53 AM

I just finished a short film using the canon 5d and one thing that I noticed was that I would measure the distance from camera to subject, match it with the lens then I would double check the focus by using the zoom feature and I found out that I was always off by just a tiny bit. So I am wondering if using the zoom feature makes it seem like I'm doing an imax kinda focus check.

As a rule, still camera zoom lenses are not parfocal, they do not hold focus as the focal length is varied. The Canon EF/EF-S series zooms seem to be better than many others but still not absolutely parfocal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parfocal

#3 Mei Lewis

Mei Lewis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Other
  • UK

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Perhaps Paul means the x5 and x10 digital zoom mofe in live view, whic is intended solely for focussing?

#4 Paulo Eduardo Uchoa

Paulo Eduardo Uchoa
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles CA

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:23 AM

Perhaps Paul means the x5 and x10 digital zoom mofe in live view, whic is intended solely for focussing?

Yes this is the feature that I am talking about. I think is Hal is right about the still lenses, I should do a real test with a PL mounted adapter

#5 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

Yes this is the feature that I am talking about. I think is Hal is right about the still lenses, I should do a real test with a PL mounted adapter

That zoom feature is just a digital zoom in to what is being recorded (but not greater than 1:1). If you're off for that you're soft, period. I don't know your exact rig but with a 5D there's a very good chance that the FFD is off or that your lenses don't tape out properly.

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider