Photo

Camera Technique - How do I execute this?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jalen Coleman

Jalen Coleman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

Hey Im trying to do a scary film but theres this scene where a kid is walking through the hallway but is dreaming and he sees an illusion of himself chasing this girl. How can I keep the kid in the frame and have him as an illusion. Did I make that clear?

#2 Will Earl

Will Earl
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Other
  • Wellington, NZ

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

There are a few ways you could do this. The simplest method is to do a split screen - stick the camera on a tripod, shoot the shot of kid watching himself, then with the camera in the same position shoot the shot with the kid chasing the girl. In the edit lay the two shots on top of each other and use a split screen effect (or mask, depending on your editing program) to split the shot in two.

There are a bunch of how-to videos on youtube which describe how to create the effect using a variety of software programs...

You can get quite complicated with how the line is defined so it doesn't have to be a straight line and if you can also use rotoscoping to animate the line for more advanced effects.

#3 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

It could also be done with a double exposure. Shoot the boy walking down the hall and seeing himself chasing her at the end of the hall as a double exposure. Careful blocking and lighting will help to sell it.

I can't think of a good example right now but this sort of gag was used by Hollywood in the 1930's for dream and fantasy scenes.

#4 Robert Costello

Robert Costello
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

Melies movies are worth studying-
they have a lot of simple but convincing effects-

#5 Jalen Coleman

Jalen Coleman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Director

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

Thanks!

#6 Jose Luis Juarez

Jose Luis Juarez

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Student

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:42 PM

alo everyone...(=

Im new here but im jose...(= i was wandering about the splitscreen subject, the situation is this, I shoot in 35mm, but I have no possibility of making DI, so i must recur to oldschool methods, but i dont know exactly how to do it in the simplest way possible.

Im shooting in ARRI 2c...small and lightweight for a bulletproof camera...(=

Dzeki so much....(=

#7 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

alo everyone...(=

Im new here but im jose...(= i was wandering about the splitscreen subject, the situation is this, I shoot in 35mm, but I have no possibility of making DI, so i must recur to oldschool methods, but i dont know exactly how to do it in the simplest way possible.

Im shooting in ARRI 2c...small and lightweight for a bulletproof camera...(=

Dzeki so much....(=

By split screen, do you mean filming the same subject in two areas of the same frame, as in the above example? With your 35mm Arri, you could consider running the film twice through the camera. So basically you shoot your subject doing whatever, and then rewind the film and shoot your subject again (who is now on the opposite side of the frame.) Always a risk with scratching the film doing this, and you would have to compensate for the exposure. If you expose normally, you would probably overexpose the footage (giving the film twice as much exposure than you normally would.) I know that in the early days, Mitchell cameras were highly regarded for this type of work because of their rock steady registration. I don't know about the Arri...it might be okay for what you want to do.

Or by split screen, do you mean different subject matter in different parts of the frame with a dividing line between them? Hopefully, others can pitch in and share their thoughts.

#8 Patrick Cooper

Patrick Cooper
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

Edit: I guess a similar thing might work - rewinding the film between shots. You might have to cover one half of the scene with something black for each pass of the film and then alternate. Others with experience at this sort of thing might have some suggestions.

#9 Damien Andre

Damien Andre
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Student
  • New Joisey

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

is possible to use a double? if hes just running by.

Edited by Damien Andre, 07 June 2011 - 12:25 AM.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Technodolly

The Slider

Rig Wheels Passport

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Glidecam