3 replies to this topic

#1 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

I just got an old style Arri 1.2k HMI Par, and someone had mentioned getting it converted to hold a single ended bulb instead of a double ended bulb. I decided the wait til the bulb was no more to decide.

Now my bulb is dead, I'm not sure what caused it other than maybe using power from a broken down old house (could that have caused it?). The bulb itself doesn't look broken, but one of the metal prongs on one side looks like it turned to black dust, so it's only held by the prong on the other side.

Now should I buy a new double ended bulb, or is there a reason I should convert it to single ended instead?

#2 Gustavo Brum

Gustavo Brum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Hollywood, CA

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:04 PM

I just got an old style Arri 1.2k HMI Par, and someone had mentioned getting it converted to hold a single ended bulb instead of a double ended bulb. I decided the wait til the bulb was no more to decide.

Now my bulb is dead, I'm not sure what caused it other than maybe using power from a broken down old house (could that have caused it?). The bulb itself doesn't look broken, but one of the metal prongs on one side looks like it turned to black dust, so it's only held by the prong on the other side.

Now should I buy a new double ended bulb, or is there a reason I should convert it to single ended instead?

Is your globe a Par Can self contained style globe?

If it is there's bad news, these globes not only are hard to find but they are super expensive, I mean $500 dollars expensive....as opposed to $200 from a regular 1200 HMI globe.

You should try to contact Galaxy Repair Lighting because, they may be able to modify the fixture for you.
But remember, its not about changing the socket only, also you will need to add
an UV glass in front of the bulb,that's very important... unless you want to give skin cancer to everybody in the set!

#3 Bryce Lansing

Bryce Lansing
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

Damn.. I think it may be a Par can globe. When I open it up, I'm looking through a semi-spherical glass to see the bulb, not the flat UV glass I'm use to seeing on newer HMIs.

How much do you think a conversion would cost me?

#4 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

Damn.. I think it may be a Par can globe. When I open it up, I'm looking through a semi-spherical glass to see the bulb, not the flat UV glass I'm use to seeing on newer HMIs.

How much do you think a conversion would cost me?

I wouldn't bother.

best

Tim

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

The Slider

Willys Widgets

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Visual Products

Technodolly