#1 Freya Black

Freya Black
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4161 posts
  • Other
  • Went over the edge... Central Europe

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:10 AM

A complete lost John Ford film called slipstream (neat title if nothing else!) has turned up in New Zealand of all places along with a number of other supposedly less significant films from the early days of Hollywood cinema:

http://www.guardian....vie-new-zealand

I am of course hoping that amongst the other films, there might be something featuring Theda Bara! Perhaps even cleopatra! Hopefully they didn't mention this because they were too square to care.

Generally I tend to feel that much of the early work from Hollywood was preety bad and that the best films were all coming out of Germany at the time but a cache of Theda Bara films might shift my views on this slightly. :)

*fingers crossed*

Anyway big news for John Ford fans, they have even found a trailer for another lost film by the man!

Great news generally really! :)

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black, 08 June 2010 - 04:12 AM.

#2 Pat Murray

Pat Murray
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

Right off the bat, thanks so much for the link. This is very exciting! I agree that a collection of Thedra Bara films would be terrific, but finding a cache of Mabel Normand and Clara Bow films is an even bigger find.

Mabel in particular was a successful actress, director and producer who happened to be one of the first to direct Charlie Chaplin.

A favourite Mabel Normand quote of mine:

"Say anything you like, but don't say I love to work. That sounds like Mary Pickford, the prissy bitch"

Generally I tend to feel that much of the early work from Hollywood was preety bad and that the best films were all coming out of Germany at the time but a cache of Theda Bara films might shift my views on this slightly.

A cache of Clara Bow and Mabel Normand films along with other early female Hollywood stars should shift your views quite a bit. Lots of great films came out of Hollywood during the silent era, most of them tragicaly lost. I love the Euro films from the era, but Hollywood was producing lots of terrific and boundary pushing films prior to the Hays code as well.

It's too bad there was such a cavalier att

Opal

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab