Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:43 PM

Hi, all

I just Googled, and didn't see any news on the Sony SxS on Snow Leopard issue. The latest news I see is from last September, which seems to have resolved some but not all of the issues. Does anyone have any more recent news?

--
Jim

#2 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:11 AM

Go to Sony Alaska then download the white paper on post modern approaches to computer assisted VTOL moonhopper landings, solve the riddle on page 5t (you'll need a 7 rotor enigma to decode it) - the answer will give you the FTP address of Sony Jupiter in which you'll need to visit in person (Thomas, a user here with the right funding and 'can do' attitude can supply the transport) - heat up your laser printer first though by getting it to cut into itself (the 'green' approach), some acrylics need a consistent beam for straight results...

#3 Gustavo Brum

Gustavo Brum
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • North Hollywood, CA

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:45 AM

Sony and Apple are like ex-boyfriend and girlfriend. May be my grandsons (which are yet to be born) will see something from Sony that runs smoothly on Apple or vice versa.

#4 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:56 AM

I'm on 10.6.3 and all is well with my SxS cards; you just need to current drivers from sony's microsite.

#5 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

sony's microsite.

Sony United States of Micronesia ? and make sure your pop up blocker is only set to stun ? normal business hours in which time zone ?

Sorry, if I seem to be taking this thread off topic but Sonys online presence is a complete mess - its seems like if they have chosen the 'better to say nothing at all' rather than say something they'll regret (re. Apple changing things on them left right and centre)...

If you're taking about putting an SxS card in the express card reader of a macbook pro and it not crashing, ie. the card mounts and is read/writable - then that'd be awesome - no more 'plan B' USB - do you have a direct link to the bits ? Last time I tried I gave up after about half an hour.

#6 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:55 PM

http://pro.sony.com/...xSDrivers.shtml

that's all you need. And then it should mount and work for reading.. I don't know why you'd want ot write to one; but you'd plug it into your macbook and copy the data off onto your drives, pull out the care and format the cards on the camera and bob's your uncle. If the system is crashing from this... that might be something specific to your mac... without more info, i can't know.

#7 Chris Millar

Chris Millar
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1642 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-assets-micro-xdcamex-downloads-SxSDrivers.shtml

that's all you need. And then it should mount and work for reading.. I don't know why you'd want ot write to one; but you'd plug it into your macbook and copy the data off onto your drives, pull out the care and format the cards on the camera and bob's your uncle. If the system is crashing from this... that might be something specific to your mac... without more info, i can't know.

oooh, interesting - looks like it could be the fix we're after ...

"An updated SxS driver for Mac (version 1.04.5050) has been released to fix a problem using the 1.0 driver with the new MacBook Pro laptops introduced in late 2008. Mac OS X would become very sluggish after the SxS driver was installed and an SxS card was inserted. "

Yes, it would be 'very slow' - kernal panics are kind of slow :lol:

Notice how it takes 4 clicks to get to the actual download button - which %50 of the time shows up as a question mark icon as the graphics file wont load ?

introducing:
SONY!:wub:

<_<

thanks mate though - will test tonight

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:16 PM

Yeah, can be a pain to find what you're looking for on there; but thankfully it's up there. good luck

#9 Jim Hyslop

Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

Go to Sony Alaska then download the white paper on post modern approaches to computer assisted VTOL moonhopper landings, solve the riddle on page 5t (you'll need a 7 rotor enigma to decode it) - the answer will give you the FTP address of Sony Jupiter in which you'll need to visit in person (Thomas, a user here with the right funding and 'can do' attitude can supply the transport) - heat up your laser printer first though by getting it to cut into itself (the 'green' approach), some acrylics need a consistent beam for straight results...

Oh, good, I was afraid it would be difficult to find the right drivers & procedures.

#10 Jim Hyslop

Jim Hyslop
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Toronto, ON, Canada

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:49 PM

Yeah, can be a pain to find what you're looking for on there; but thankfully it's up there. good luck

Thanks, Adrian. I'd been holding off upgrading my MacBook Pro to Snow Leopard because of the concern. I feel more comfortable now that I know it's been resolved.

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine