#1 Stefan Petrov

Stefan Petrov

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:20 AM

I'm about to build my own lights, as the area I live in has very limited equipment available and I try to fill a gap.

I have been doing research into available types of bulbs and their efficiencies and spectra. Our eyes have evolved to best utilize the suns emission to interpret the surroundings around us into colour. Now of cause film and digital sensors are sensing light differently to our eyes, but they do have a try, which is the point.

Colour Rendering Index is currently one of the only available statistics bulbs to identify the quality of their output other that an actual graph of their spectrum. Now an incandescent light bulb is 100CRI as it holds a continuous spectrum. CRI rating of 100 simply means that 8 specific colours look exactly the same as they would under a black body radiator at 2700k.

Fluorescent, Halogen, HMI, HPL, LED they all give of less than ideal spectra. And to compensate for this we gel them to the desired colour. but blocking certain wave lengths can't really give us back colour definition. I believe thinking about it has become increasingly important now with high resolution digital cinema cameras and them being very much software driven.

I wonder how people here think about these holes and peaks in the various lights' spectra, and how they deal with it.

Do you simply smack another light of a different kind at the problem?

How does this affect your choices when purchasing lights?

Edited by Stefan Petrov, 09 June 2010 - 09:22 AM.

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Visual Products

Technodolly

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Glidecam

Abel Cine

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport