#1 Duncan Buckley

Duncan Buckley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Other
  • United Kingdom

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

I have two K3 cameras and only really used one so decided to dig out the other and have a play. I ran some film through to test it and looks like there is a small scratch on the gate. Now I have no issues with taking the gate out, its just cleaning it to remove minor issues on the metal thats the problem. Does anyone know a good way of removing minor dents and scratches?

#2 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

I have two K3 cameras and only really used one so decided to dig out the other and have a play. I ran some film through to test it and looks like there is a small scratch on the gate. Now I have no issues with taking the gate out, its just cleaning it to remove minor issues on the metal thats the problem. Does anyone know a good way of removing minor dents and scratches?

Can you send me a image of film gate with scratch on PM?
Theoretically, you can re-polishing a film gate, but, K-3 film gate have thin layer a chromium-plating and you can take off of this layer.

#3 Duncan Buckley

Duncan Buckley
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Other
  • United Kingdom

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:32 AM

Thanks for the reply, I checked the camera and it was actually being caught near the top where I formed the first loop but the pressure plate is definately scratching the film. I can post up an image but its difficult to see where the issue is. I heard that toothpaste is a really mild abrasive so I suppose that could be tried?

#4 Niclas Tornblom

Niclas Tornblom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

Thanks for the reply, I checked the camera and it was actually being caught near the top where I formed the first loop but the pressure plate is definately scratching the film. I can post up an image but its difficult to see where the issue is. I heard that toothpaste is a really mild abrasive so I suppose that could be tried?

I think i have the same problem....it's in the center of the frame....but im nor 100 percent sure...i have shoot two films with my k-3 and the first film turned out to be fine, with out a single scratch...but the second hade a long scratch in the middle... I guess it couldbe the lab aslo...I will opload my video shorley so u can se what i mean.

nick

#5 Olex Kalynychenko

Olex Kalynychenko
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:59 AM

The any scratch must be study detailed and without image this is complex problem.
The size of upper film loop can influence at scratch on film too.
If the size of top film loop big, the film can touch of upper surface of film gate and can set scratch on film.
But, this is scratches must be as of dash line and from emulsion side.

#6 Mark Dunn

Mark Dunn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2422 posts
  • Other
  • London

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

Removing the loop formers is quite a simple job.

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Visual Products

Ritter Battery