#1 Cornelius

Cornelius

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

The new DSLR's have changed the game, but more importantly the format workflow. I just received a Canon T2i Rebel (my new toy) and plan on shooting with a class 10 32GB card. Now the issue is, I plan on shooting a lot of video and I am tired of the slow transfer speeds that USB 2.0 Card readers offer. I need something faster. Would an expresscard/34 memory card adapter be that much faster? or even a firewire 800 (1394b) memory card reader be a better choice? With the laptop an expresscard is easily tucked away, portable, sleek, but not universal (try hooking it up to a mac-pro or even a PC tower). 2nd choice, a firewire 800 (1394b) option, but these are difficult to find due to the lack of customers. So any other alternatives to the slow USB 2.0 transfer? I admit I only need an SD card reader (would like SDXC for newer cards in the future), but the Canon 7D and 5D Mark ii still use CF (Compactflash), and I have been editing a large number of videos for people working with this format.

So, final question; what is the best memory card reader for a mac? (USB 2.0) is just too slow.

#2 Oliver Christoph Kochs

Oliver Christoph Kochs
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Film Loader
  • Germany

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

With USB3 looming on the horizon... i think we just all have to wait and buy new computers. if there`s a fw800 reader it is probably a little faster but not much.

Tai Audio

The Slider

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Opal

Metropolis Post

Visual Products