Paco Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hi there all.
I wanted to shoot a portion of my film using my Arri 16s, incorporating Tim Carroll's technique from his excellent website (arri16s.com) of shooting the standard 16mm and masking it for 16.9.

I was just wondering what would be the differences between these stocks as they all seem quite close in ISO rating?

Tim suggests on his website to use a slightly slower stock so that the grain isnt' massive once you telecine it. The reason I'm looking at the higher ISO films is that I'm shooting in a basement flat that has narrow walls and I need the extra latitude.

Any feedback would be very welcome. Thank you.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:42 PM

You need the extra latitude or the extra speed?

If you just need more latitude, 250T Fuji Eterna would work fine. If you need extra speed and latitude, then 400T Eterna has the widest latitude / lowest contrast, and conversely, Vivid 500T would have the highest contrast and thus the least latitude, though underexposure may be less noticeable due to the stronger blacks.

Grain-wise, 400T, 500T Eterna, and 500T Vivid are all about the same. You just may see slightly less grain in the Vivid 500T because grain is most visible in midtones and a higher contrast stock has fewer midtones.

#3 Paco Sweetman

Paco Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:36 AM

Thank you David for your response. The 400T sounds like the best for my needs. The place I want to shoot in has a long corridor that is quite dimly lit with about three doors on the leading off of it that I could light from, but it still quite dark.

Apologies for the mistake in the use of terms, latitude and speed, I'm trying to learn all of this slowly but surely.

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC

Paralinx LLC

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

CineLab