Photo

how to create a dream like images, fog filter, black pro mist?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Niclas Tornblom

Niclas Tornblom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hi,
Im shooting a fantasy/ comedy in a few weeks on super 16. And it's supose to look like a dream. I'm talkin about, foggy mornings, soft images without not to many bright colors. slow talking images etc. I think ill go for some kind of fog filters or black pro mist, to create the illusion of fog. we are shooting very early in the morning, near a lake, so im asking how to create this dream like images and what filter etc. to use. any suggestions? should i stick with my fog filters or any other ideas?

Nick.

Attached Images

• dimma_1170235090.jpg

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

Fog and Double-Fog are better for a foggy look than Black ProMist (regular ProMist would be better than Black for fogginess). The Tiffen Smoque filter is also good but needs something bright in the frame to react to.

#3 Niclas Tornblom

Niclas Tornblom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

Fog and Double-Fog are better for a foggy look than Black ProMist (regular ProMist would be better than Black for fogginess). The Tiffen Smoque filter is also good but needs something bright in the frame to react to.

Thank you David. Does the fogfilter/ dubbel fog filter, requires any particular lightning? My goal is to use only natural light as much as possible. What's the difference between Promist and Fog?

Thanks,
Nick.

#4 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:33 PM

Thank you David. Does the fogfilter/ dubbel fog filter, requires any particular lightning? My goal is to use only natural light as much as possible. What's the difference between Promist and Fog?

Thanks,
Nick.

All these filters are light-scatterers -- mist particles in the glass cause light areas to spread, halate. They mainly vary in the degree of milkiness that cause, and the degree of softening, and some color cast issues (fog filters tend to cause a glow to be blue-ish compared to a ProMist). Fogs and Double-Fogs (which are just a Fog plus a Low Con, they are actually less foggy than Fogs, depending on the strength, but conversely are milkier) are older filter designs (1970's and earlier), ProMists date back to the 1980's. ProMists have a softening quality, not just the hazy foggy look.

The strength of the filter makes a big difference in effect when comparing them.

For a foggy look, I'd stick to Fogs, Double-Fogs, or Smoque filters. No, they don't need lighting but you'll see the effect better around points of light, bright areas, etc. anything that can halate (glow).

Filters are not dimensional like real smoke/fog though where you can have a foggy background but a clear, sharp foreground because close objects are being seen through less fog.

#5 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:36 PM

Some shots from "Tess", which used a Fog filter:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 Niclas Tornblom

Niclas Tornblom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 22 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thank you!
Looking forward to do some test!

best

Niclas

#7 Niclas Tornblom

Niclas Tornblom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Sweden

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:41 AM

So we are shooting on the SR 3 advanced, but i cant decide what optik to use. I was thinking of using zeiss zoom 11-110 to get a softer feelin instead of using the primes. But it seems that the zoom lens is on service during our time of shooting. so i have to choose what primes to go with...

if i wanna go for a softer feelin', and less saturation in colors...witch on to choose? any suggestions

zeiss ultra
zeiss high speed
cooke sk4 (would be to expensive i guess)

#8 Adrian Sierkowski

Adrian Sierkowski
  • Sustaining Members
  • 7117 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, Ca

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

I find the cooke lenses slightly less, I dunno, "clinical" feeling compared to the Zeiss.

#9 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 28 November 2017 - 05:22 AM

Sorry to dredge, but David - are the Double Fog's combination of Fog and Low Con?

I'm rekindling my interest filtering after a decade of naturalism and sharp and realistic imagery. I've been using GlimmerGlass on a few projects, but really want to move towards light Fog filtering. Saw some nice tests shot with Double Fog recently and it made me excited again. HAs anyone got any recent projects using light Double Fog?

#10 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19761 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

Yes, Double Fogs are a blend of Low Cons and Fogs.  "Good Girls Revolt" started using them after the pilot but I took a look and found it hard to tell it was being used.  Kaminski used them for a foggy morning battlefield scene late in "War Horse".

Metropolis Post

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Visual Products

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

CineLab

Glidecam

The Slider

CineTape

Tai Audio