#1 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 23 June 2010 - 01:13 AM

I'm pretty excited about this new setup i've been putting together for transfering my S8 to HD. I've been using the Workprinter XP for 6 years, doing SD transfers. Now that old PC has taken a poop i've upgraded to a new much faster setup with an Intensity Pro card installed. The HDV camera runs to the Intensity card therefore bypassing HDV compression... capturing full 1920X1080. The new machine is outfitted with 1.5TB of hard drive space, and a blueray burner. I'm not worried about HD being over revealing for S8, It's the DV pixels over my film grain that i want to get rid of.

#2 daniel mahlknecht

daniel mahlknecht
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Italy - South Tyrol

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:57 AM

To get rid of the nasty DV pixeling of the grain it will also help to use the composite or Y/C output of the DV camera and capture with a better codec to the computer bypassing the DV compression (I'm now using a Blackmagic Decklink HD extreme card). I use as capturecodec IMX and quality got much better compared to directly capture via the firewireport of the camera.
I also had tried to use an HDV camera (the sony Z7) but only on hdv because back then I didn't have an HDMI input. It worked also, but I had big problems in syncronizing the camera to the projector because of the rolling shutter of the C-mos chips. Choosing shorter shutter times did not help much, as apparently the overall scnanning time of the frame did not change, only the single lines were exposed shorter... It worked in the end, but I had to push the shutter up to 1/450. I did the syncing with the telecine Fälker system.
So now I'm waiting for the A-cam DII that has a ccd sensor that would eliminate the rolling shutter issue, yust I couldn't figure out yet if the camera can also output directly to a computer and of course if it will ever exist...

Daniel

#3 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:04 PM

I did a trial run last night. Still have some kinks to work out. I used the HDMI out on the camera to the HDMI in on the Blackmagic card. I captured some of the new Kodak 100D, and what an amazing difference compared to my old SD captures of 64T.

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products

The Slider