Bobby Shore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles / Montreal

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

Hi,

I have a commercial shoot coming up that requires a small jib shot, I only need the camera to move from about 4 feet off the ground to about 10-11 feet (6-7 ft. move). Unfortunately, this is outside the range of a pee wee (or equivalent) dolly's boom arm, and I'm looking for any suggestions for a small jib arm that can be mounted on one of these types of dollies. I've used a lenny arm to this effect before, underslung on a weaver steadman head, but we're shooting with a 5D and think it might be a touch of overkill.

Thanks in advance!

Bobby Shore
DP
Mtl./LA

#2 Darryl Richard Humber

Darryl Richard Humber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Grip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:44 AM

Hi,

I have a commercial shoot coming up that requires a small jib shot, I only need the camera to move from about 4 feet off the ground to about 10-11 feet (6-7 ft. move). Unfortunately, this is outside the range of a pee wee (or equivalent) dolly's boom arm, and I'm looking for any suggestions for a small jib arm that can be mounted on one of these types of dollies. I've used a lenny arm to this effect before, underslung on a weaver steadman head, but we're shooting with a 5D and think it might be a touch of overkill.

Thanks in advance!

Bobby Shore
DP
Mtl./LA

The Aerocrane jib works well for this kind of thing. They are at Aerocranerentals.com I think.

#3 michael best

michael best
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Grip
  • La/SF

Posted 30 June 2010 - 12:42 AM

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Bobby Shore
DP
Mtl./LA

I would say just go with a shorter Lenny arm. yes it might be "overkill", but you know it can do the job. you could try mounting a porta-jib on the arm and with the arm at full height you would get about a 8' arc depending on the model you get, so it might work. Matthews also makes the Inta-jib which has a 10' and 16' arms so that will work. And you can mount that on a tripod or dolly arm.

Mike Best

#4 Warwick Hempleman

Warwick Hempleman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Germany

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:09 AM

** Shameless Plug **

Try a Fisher Model 23 next time out.

#5 Sanjay Sami

Sanjay Sami
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Grip
  • Anywhere they pay me to go

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

** Shameless Plug **

Try a Fisher Model 23 next time out.

As good as it gets ... but maybe overkill Wick ?

#6 Darryl Richard Humber

Darryl Richard Humber
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Grip

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:16 PM

As good as it gets ... but maybe overkill Wick ?

I would have to agree Wick. I almost recommended the Fisher 23, cause it is the best, but for a 6 or 7' move it just seemed a bit much.

#7 Bobby Shore

Bobby Shore
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles / Montreal

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

I would have to agree Wick. I almost recommended the Fisher 23, cause it is the best, but for a 6 or 7' move it just seemed a bit much.

Thanks so much for replies. I finally met with the director today, turns out we won't actually need to operate the camera for the shot, which means no remote head. Looks like I'm probably going with a small porta-jib mounted on a fisher 11 or pee-wee. Appreciate all the help!

Bobby Shore
DP
Mtl/LA

CineTape

Glidecam

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Technodolly

The Slider

Willys Widgets

CineLab

FJS International, LLC